Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet: Connects/Disconnects Every 2 Seconds

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 YayWindows8

YayWindows8

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:24 PM

This is a new self-build with the following parts:

Windows 8.1 Pro
AMD CPU
Mobotherboard: Gigabyte 970A-UD3P
Network adapter: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (built-in on mobo)
Driver: 8.18.621.2013 (latest 6/21/2013 update)

I am having problems connecting to the internet through a wired connection. It keeps connecting and disconnecting every second. It shows up as “identifying,” disappears, and then shows up "identifying" a second later, only to keep repeating the cycle. I just built this computer and the wired connection not worked since Day 1.

Troubleshooting attempted:

- Reinstalled Windows 8.1

- Tested ethernet cable on my old computer with Windows 8.1 that was installed from the same disk.

- Deleted network driver from Device Manager (that is installed with 8.1) and downloaded the one from the mobo manufacturer.

- Changed Speed and Duplex settings (tried all options from 10-100mbps and half/full duplex).

- Unchecked the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option.

Doing a quick google search, I can see that other people have had this problem before too. I doubt it is a problem with the mobo but I’m completely stumped right now. A wireless USB adapter works but it has dropped connections and is much slower, so I'd much rather use the wired connection.

If anyone can help, that would be great!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sebasbs

sebasbs

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:01 AM

Go to device manager, click on your Ethernet Adapter check to see if an update is available for it (Right click > Update Driver Software). If this doesn't work try to disable it and then enable it. Report your findings.

#3 YayWindows8

YayWindows8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:17 PM

Go to device manager, click on your Ethernet Adapter check to see if an update is available for it (Right click > Update Driver Software). If this doesn't work try to disable it and then enable it. Report your findings.

Yep, already tried this in troubleshooting. I downloaded the latest driver already, and then checked again using Windows built-in driver system.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:37 PM

Given that this has been happening since 'day 1' this sounds like a hardware problem. Starting with the easiest -

1  Try the cable in a different socket on your router / modem, most have at least four sockets.

2  Try a different cable

3  Check the ethernet socket on the mobo, it could have a faulty connection. If this turns out to be the problem, I imagine you would have a good warranty claim.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 YayWindows8

YayWindows8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:12 PM

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the help.

1. Cable in a different socket didn't help.

2. I tried a new cable just to be sure, and it didn't help as well.

3. As for the ethernet socket on the mobo, it seems to be fine. It's not loose, and lights up (on and off as connection is not stable). I don't think there are any programs to run and test the particular spot. But to be honest, I'm inclined to believe that the mobo itself is fine.

Are there any software issues you can think of? Would flashing the BIOS help?

Edited by YayWindows8, 16 June 2014 - 11:12 PM.

#6 joshmartin

joshmartin

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:43 PM

To clarify the Ethernet port is showing an unstable light on the mobo? Or is this unstable on a seperate Ethernet card? 

If it's showing unstable on the mobo then looks like you may have a problem with the mobo. Try reseating the mobo & checking all connections to be sure everything is tight and hooked correctly. If the problem still persists with multiple ethernets and different ports on your router &&& your other machine works flawlessly with this same setup. Then it has to be mobo.

Possible manuf. defect. Try to get it returned and have them ship another.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

That's two of us that think the problem lies with your mobo.

I think it is time to have a chat with Gigabyte's service department by phone or e-mail, whichever is  more convenient. It may well be that this is a problem that has occurred before, so they may have a solution for it which you can apply, or it may be a case for a replacement mobo. But I think that is your next step.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 YayWindows8

YayWindows8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:46 PM

The NIC is built into the mobo, so the reseating and physical connections shouldn't play a role.

When I go to device manager, the device is "working properly" and there are no conflicts in the resources tab.

I did find a way to test if the NIC is working correctly. I pinged 127.0.0.1 and was able to get a response. Pinging the router (192.168.0.1) didn't work as expected.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Jimmy>ping google.com
Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again

C:\Users\Jimmy>ping 127.0.0.1

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Users\Jimmy>ping 192.168.0.1

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
PING: transmit failed. General failure.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

This is my ipconfig /all:

C:\Users\Jimmy>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Jimmy-PC
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 74-D4-35-5E-CE-9C
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.{32DE5875-A1DD-46D6-824B-6AB48B09D40C}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

I also saw this following advice:
Pinging 127.0.0.1 (loopback) tests that your TCP/IP stack isn't corrupt.
Pinging your ip address address (e.g., 192.168.1.100) tests if your NIC is functioning.
Pinging your gateway tests if your LAN is working.

I pinged the IP and Gateway that showed on my router, but since the connection goes on and off, it doesn't work. I'm assuming the above steps are for people who show a (stable) connection but don't know if their internet is working.

Getting a RMA seems to not be worth the trouble. If anything, I'll buy a Rosewill NIC for $8 on Newegg. However, I feel that this is more of a software problem rather than hardware, so I'm still trying to explore my options. I'm going to see if there are other drivers, etc.

#9 joshmartin

joshmartin

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

I mean, if everything has been done software related then it has to be mobo.
For example, I know you've updated drivers what about running older driver versions? Maybe a new one is corrupt for your specific configuration?
One last & final step if you don't want to deal with the company or buying another nic would be to do a full reinstall of the OS & all drivers. Then see if that works. If no dice, all signs are pretty much pointing to that mobo.

#10 YayWindows8

YayWindows8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:01 PM

Good news. I found a guide on another forum for new Gigabyte motherboard owners. It stated:

Problem: My onboard LAN isn't working correctly. The light is on, but I can't connect to some types of broadband including PPPOE DSL.
Answer: Look inside your PC on top of the RJ-45(LAN) connector, and write down the number on the yellow sticker. Go to device manager -> properties of your onboard LAN. Find the "network address" field, and input the number here.

The number was just the MAC address (that you can find with ipconfig /all instead of cracking opening the case).

After this, I uninstalled the driver again through Device Manager. Then I redownloaded a fresh version from the mobo manufacturer. After I ran it, for some reason, it only gave me options to modify, (something else I forgot), and uninstall. I found it weird so I used the installer to uninstall, booted up the installer again, and this time installed it. Worked right away.

Don't know if you need to do both steps, but I don't want to mess around with the settings while it's working. Connection does seem a bit slow, but I'll work on that slowly.

Thanks for all the help guys! Hopefully anyone else with this problem can try the above steps troubleshooting.

Edit: Reinstalling the driver removed the first step I took (putting the MAC in the Network Address section), so only the second step is necessary it seems.

Edited by YayWindows8, 17 June 2014 - 08:07 PM.

#11 YayWindows8

YayWindows8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:26 PM

Guess I spoke too soon. I restarted my computer and it's back to the same old problem. I'll try the same steps above and hopefully solve this problem permanently...

Edit: Did the same steps. Uninstalled from Device Manager, Uninstalled using the Installer, Reinstalled using the Installer, and didn't work this time. Then I did it for a third time, except used CC Cleaner after uninstalling it using both methods. Still doesn't work. 

So I guess mobo is ruled out, but it is actually a weird software issue.

Also just went to the Realtek website and downloaded the actual latest driver (5/2014), but didn't work either.

Edited by YayWindows8, 17 June 2014 - 09:18 PM.

#12 joshmartin

joshmartin

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:40 AM

Did you try downloading an older version driver? Also, explain to me how you're removing drivers? You can't just go into device manager & right click remove. You also have to remove the files it creates under C:\

Otherwise you will get multiple installs/folders/versions which the registry will not appreciate. Clear it from device manager/clear it from C:\ then reinstall the newest version. If no dice, rinse, repeat, & pick an older driver.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:31 PM

Sometimes the drivers from Realtek's site will do a better job than the OEM's. Their Windows 8.1 driver is dated 6/2014. But can you confirm something? Right click on the Network adapter in Device Manager and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line in your next post.

#14 YayWindows8

YayWindows8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

It seems that I currently have this driver: 5/8/2014, 8.32.508.2014.

My Hardware ID is PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_E0001458&REV_06.

Where would I go to download the old drivers?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:33 PM

That vendor and device ID is Realtek. There lastest driver is listed as

Win8, Win8.1 and Server 2012 Auto Installation Program (SID:1656266)
8.032 2014/6/3

Here is the drive location.

I would uninstall any Ethernet Driver with the uninstaller and then install the above.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users