Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need some help with this question.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hanzolo

hanzolo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:47 PM

So I've been taking a Computer Essentials course which I haven't been able to keep up with since I have been busy with other matters. Now that my excuse is out of the way, I've been stuck on this real world problem. What I've been having trouble with is implementing RAID. I understand that I would have everything I need to install a RAID controller but I don't know what else I would need to implement RAID/ if anything. If you could answer the questions and explain to me how you got the answers, I would be extremely grateful. 

Question:

You work as a PC technician for a boss who believes you are really bright and can solve just about any problem he throws at you. Folks in the company have complained one time too many that the file server downtime is just killing them, so he asks you to solve this problem. He wants you to figure out what hardware is needed to implement hardware RAID for fault tolerance. You check the file server’s configuration and discover it has a single hard drive using a SATA connection with Windows Server 2012 installed. There are four empty bays in the computer case and four extra SATA power cords. You also discover an empty PCIe x4 slot on the motherboard. BIOS setup does not offer the option to configure RAID, but you think the slot might accommodate a RAID controller.

Complete the investigation and do the following:

1. Decide what hardware you must purchase and put a screenshot of the web pages showing the products and their cost into a document.

2. What levels of RAID does the RAID controller card support? Which RAID level is best to use? Print any important information in the RAID controller documentation that supports your decisions.

Edited by hanzolo, 12 June 2014 - 07:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:23 PM

Google.

• What is RAID
  • Understanding RAID
  • Implementing RAID
  • Best hardware for RAID level (?) 2014

You'll get a hell of a lot more from reading these searches for a couple of hours than being spoon fed something that you will likely forget. (and also take another step towards being that tech the boss in the Q believes)

TsVk!

Edited by TsVk!, 12 June 2014 - 09:24 PM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

I won't do your work, but will assist by pointing you in the right direction.

From the question it is obvious that they want a RAID card that will work in a PCIex4 slot that will handle four drives.  What is not clear from the question is what level of RAID they are looking for or how much storage they want.  You could go RAID 1+0, RAID 5, RAID 5 with a hot spare.

There is no clear right answer for which RAID they are looking for, unless it was covered by the "implement hardware RAID for fault tolerance" phrase.

If you're looking for speed with redundancy you want RAID 1+0.  The downside is that you will only have the available drive space of two of the drives, so if you had four 3TB drives you would only have 6TB of space.

You could do RAID 5 with four 3TB drives and have 9TB of space.

You could do RAID 5 with a hot spare using four 3TB drives and have 6TB of space.

The problem is they don't let you know how much space is needed and if speed is an issue.

So, now all you have to do is find a PCIex4 card that supports the RAID that you decide upon and four SATA drives to go with it.

Your big advantage is that you weren't given any guidance as to cost.  In the real world they would either give you more than enough money to do the job or make you find a cheap solution that works for the amount they want to spend.  In the cheap solution problem you might go down to three drives to have extra money for the card you want or get a cheaper card that doesn't support the version of RAID that you would prefer.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

As Kilroy mentioned, without very specific information such as what the raid will be used for, how much storage they want, and budget we can not give a direct answer.

The cheapest redundant raid setup is raid 1 which mirrors 2 drives, the drives should be the same size and speed for best results. Raid 5 with a minimum of 3 drives introduces a parity drive. Raid 1+0 is probably the most common type found in the business world when speed and redundant setup is needed as Kilroy already mentioned. I use this for SQL databases frequently.

It is not really fair for them to ask this question: Which RAID level is best to use?...... without giving the specific use etc.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 hanzolo

hanzolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:16 AM

Alright thanks guys. I was able to put together my answers. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users