Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Store is broken.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rusty.Not

Rusty.Not

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:07 PM

Somehow I corrupted the Windows Store.  The Start Tile itself is working. It updates regularly showing new content.  When I click the tile the screen morphs to the green full screen Windows Store.  But it has the "merry-go-round" dots endlessly.  Without the Store I can't download any apps.  I can live without that ability but it would be nice to have.

I tried SFC but the huge report made no mention of Windows Store details.  I tried a PowerShell script that was to refresh the cache.  It didn't.  I tried a regedit fix by tricking WS into recreating its cache.  Didn't work.  I didn't even find the cache where it was supposed to be.  Didn' find it at all.

New sets of eyes and minds would be greatly appreciated! :gathering: 

As always TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:49 PM

Have you tried System Restore to a date prior to the beginning of the problem?  Do you have all the Windows 8.1 updates installed?

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Rusty.Not

Rusty.Not
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:07 PM

My 8.1 updates are all up-to-date, including Tuesday's which is rumored to bring us to 8.1B ( not A or D, maybe C)  My memory's a bit..  

Rusty. :idea:

I don't know exactly when WS got corrupted since I use it hardly ever.  I'm hoping for a more direct fix than a dreaded Restore because of the overhead of re-installing all my pretty new programs.  I cringe to think about the doubly dreaded Refresh.  I'm fishing for some rather esoteric fix.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Rusty.Not, 12 June 2014 - 08:18 PM.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

I'm not talking about either of those things you're dreading.  I'm talking about System Restore that's built into Windows, and restores your system to an earlier point in time without losing any data.  The only program(s) you'd have to reinstall would be the ones between the time you restored to and the present which normally would be very few.  Click the Start charm, type System Restore in the search box, and follow the onscreen instructions.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 Rusty.Not

Rusty.Not
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:44 PM

I'm pleased to report that I solved the WinStore problem on my WIN8.1 computer.  It did involve a cache.  I dug around the hidden folder AppData and found a folder named "C:\Users\Rusty.Not\AppData\Local\Packages\winstore_cw5n1h2txyewy\localstate\cache {the right side of the _ may be different for everybody}.

I made a copy of the cache directory.  Then I re-named cache to cache(TEST). I needed to kill a couple of processes that owned cache.  The system will notify you which processes they are.  Use Task Manager or Process Explorer to kill them.  Restart.

A check of \localstate\ found a brand new cache.  A trip to Start showed the WindowsStore tile still active.  I clicked it and was rewarded with a fully functioning WS.

I post all this (without Smileys so as not to shock newcomers) in the hope this fix will help many others who find their WStore not working.

Thanks for participating in my odyssey.

Edited by Rusty.Not, 13 June 2014 - 07:14 PM.

#6 Rusty.Not

Rusty.Not
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:19 AM

Sorry it took me so long to return. :whistle:    I find myself with foot-in-mouth disease.  :oopsign:This whole topic was misguided.  I posted it ".. when I was young.."  The real solution turned out to be provided by Microsoft temselves.  It just wasn't loudly publicized. :idea:

I quote:  "... If so here are some tools you may try. < Windows Store Broken >

Method 1: Run this troubleshooter and check if the issue is fixed after a restart of PC.

I never got to Method 2.  This troubleshooter, apps.diagcab, is an executable file that reset the WS app itself, cleared the caches, repaired all downloaded Store apps, cleared up some other misc. stuff; then provided a printable report of all it did.

Method 2: Another troubleshooter for the Apps: run this as well after the previous one if needed. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-troubleshoot-problems-app"

These are courtesy of a Microsoft Community MVP.  :trumpet:

#7 weshumphrey

weshumphrey

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:53 PM

Method 1 worked perfectly after restart on my Win 8.0.  Thank you.

#8 Rusty.Not

Rusty.Not
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:18 AM

Just curious... Are you using 8.0 or 8.1?  Not much data about 8.0 any more with the beta-testing of WIN 10 gathering the most chatter.

You're most welcome.

Method 1 worked perfectly after restart on my Win 8.0.  Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users