Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Linux?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

Which Linux should I use?

O my gosh, there is so much to read about all this. I took the test and it said to use OpenSuse.  I would like to keep my xp system for now and use an #1 USB or #2 a disc, I'm not sure which but like the idea of the usb for some reason. 
Should I go ahead and back up my system, and if so what will be the easiest way to do that. I created a thread as to which backup system to use but it all seemed very complicated. I am ready, I have spare CD,DVD's and USB's if needed. I have been to the F8-F9-F10 Menu's for a few things in the past but not real familiar with using it. Tried to set it up one time to boot from a usb but it was hard to tell which port was the proper one to select so maybe the CD would be the best ONLY for that reason. I need to keep up on my bank account so I thought I would go this way. I do have further questions if you have time just tell me where to post them. Thanks again for everything.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

First let me say that you should ALWAYS back your system up unconditionally.  That ounce of prevention is sometimes worth a TON of cure.  Just get one of the many good backup programs and an external hard drive.  I use the free Easeus Todo Backup Free, but there're plenty of others.

Now for the Linux question, I'd have to say that depends on your needs and preferences.  I've used Ubuntu and Mint and like both of them because you can put them on a DVD and be up and running in 3 minutes with little or no hassle.  Alternatively you can put them on a flash drive and be up and running in 2 minutes.  Both have Windows-like user interfaces.  You don't have to install anything, you can just click TRY when you boot up.  You do need to understand that if you do put Linux on your hard drive, it will coexist with Windows just fine, but there are considerations.  Once you install it on your hard drive, the Windows boot mechanism is replaced by the Grub loader, which means that unless you know a whole lot more esoteric stuff than I do, you can't do anything to change your partition sizes.  

I'm not a Linux expert, so I'm sure you will easily find a lot of folks more knowledgeable on the subject than me, but I do think the above is something you should be aware of before taking the plunge.  I will say that if I had to chose between XP and Linux right now, I'd go with Linux.  I'm currently happily using Windows 7 and 8.1 for now though.

Good luck. 

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:58 PM

Thanks this one seems to be pretty common so I might try it.  It is looking to be to confusing though and no one seems to be able to put up a plan for me.

So if I put it to a usb will I have to change the boot order and boot from that usb drive or just start pc normally and choose at that point.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:06 PM

Most of my computers allow me to press F12 at power up time and select where I want to boot from.  Then I can select DVD or USB.  I have one desktop I put together several years ago with a cheap Biostar mobo that won't boot from a flash drive, but it'll always boot from a DVD.  It's just a test computer I can boot XP, 7, or 8.1 on, or Linux from a DVD when I need to, so I just use it as is as long as it's working.  

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:52 PM

You do need to understand that if you do put Linux on your hard drive,

You do know you can install( yes just like you do on HDD) to USB stick The advantage here is that you can carry your os around and all things being equal boot any pc from it ( some exclusions may apply.)

Can you give us some PC spect so we can advise you on the correct distro.

I took the test and it said to use OpenSuse.

Bah. I would prefer to see you on a Debian/Buntu distro Eg Mint Ubuntu Kubuntu.

Edited by NickAu1, 13 June 2014 - 12:06 AM.

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:14 AM

Thanks this one seems to be pretty common so I might try it.

This is a mistake I made when I decided to install Linux Lite. Having previously used Ubuntu, Mint and Puppy, I was used to a plethora of available information regarding any issues I came across.

With Linux Lite however, there just isn't the same level of support available, because not enough people use it. Perhaps OpenSuse is more popular than Lite, and more support will be available, but there is bound to be less support available than for the likes of Mint and Ubuntu.

It is for this reason, that I have now decided to stick with the most popular distros until I become more familiar with Linux.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:13 PM

NickAu1 quote:  "Can you give us some PC spect so we can advise you on the correct distro."

I believe my specs are in my signature and I am getting very close to doing this just waiting to get a clean bill of health before downloading.

I anticipate having issues when downloading Mint.  Is there any where that I can get some instructions for dummy's LOL.

Edited by pcpunk, 14 June 2014 - 03:39 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:11 PM

Go to linuxmint.com and click the download button.  Then scroll down and you'll see a list of options.  The latest version is 17 aka Qiana Cinnamon.  Click on the 32 bit version and scroll down.  There you'll see a list of places all over the world where you can download from.  Pick one that's close to you and click on it.  Tell it you want to save the ISO file and it'll download.  Then you can burn a DVD.  If you don't have an app installed to do that, you can use the free Imgburn from imgburn.com.

Good luck.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

wpgwpg, I burned the disc but when I tried shutting down it said that the program was still running so I had to choose "End" to shut down.  I went into F10 upon startup to set to boot from "optical drive" but it was already #1 and it all just did not make sense to me.  Basically I don't understand how to do this LOL  I used Sonic to burn the disc.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:40 PM

I don't believe I've used Sonic any time in the last 4-5 years, so unless you want to try something like the free Imgburn, I'm not sure how much help I'll be.  I've used Roxio and Nero mostly, but they're not free.  You want to be sure you're not just copying the ISO file to the DVD, you want something that will extract the files and create a bootable disc.  Windows 7 and 8 have built in software, but I know XP doesn't.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:53 PM

I see, that must be the problem.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

wpgwpg, the key phrase would have been "Create Image" that was the issue I was having.

Also, have you ever tried to use Chrome with this BIstro?  There is only a download for Ubantu/Debian.

And, linux would be much faster if it was on harddrive right?

I could not download the burner you advised, keept getting threats from avast warning., also other things I have tried to download? maybe got a bug.

THanks for all your help!

Edited by pcpunk, 15 June 2014 - 01:15 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

You should be able to download Imgburn from http://www.imgburn.com/ .  That's the official site for it.  I just downloaded it on my Windows 7 laptop from Mirror 7 with no problem.  My Norton Security Suite produced a message that it was safe.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

You should be able to download Imgburn from http://www.imgburn.com/ .  That's the official site for it.  I just downloaded it on my Windows 7 laptop from Mirror 7 with no problem.  My Norton Security Suite produced a message that it was safe.

Thanks for the confirmation, as I said I think something is not right with my pc, or maybe avast.

I have heard that using a usb makes it even slower, have you experienced this, not getting any help from the Linux forum LOL.  I think I would be very impressed if it was loaded onto my HD!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

i have to linux versions each on a 32 gig usb and they,at least for me, load up just as fast as the 6 versions i have on my harddrive

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users