Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dwm.exe has anyone else seen this?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

for the first time(it may have been there before but i never spotted it) today i saw in task manager on windows 8 a file called dwm.exe running under the details tab. this task was being executed by a username i have never heard of before "DWM-1" under the username column(all other processes either execute as "my username",  "SYSTEM", "LOCAL SERVICE" or "NETWORK SERVICE" )and the file located in C:\Windows\System32 with a size of 115 KB or so. i tried to go into the windows folder and scan this file with MBAM and it did so except MBAM gave a log registering to had taken 7 seconds to scan zero files, scanning with avg shows nothing. i suppose i'm a bit paranoid but has anyone else seen dwm.exe on windows 8 running under a weird username like that? and one other weird thing, when one tries to terminate this process with right click-->end task in the details tab of task manager the screen flashes black momentarily then comes back to show the process is still running.

thanks

Edited by rp88, 12 June 2014 - 04:30 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:09 AM

Info on dwm.exe

http://www.processlibrary.com/en/directory/files/dwm/71288/ .

and

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-gaming/how-to-disable-dwm-on-windows-8/ca569401-7066-42a1-af0f-cba32026d861.

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,967 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:05 PM

it's not mentioned under services and it runs from a different user (today it is "DWM-3") that me or the usual SYSTEM,LOCAL SERVICE and NETWORK SERVICE. what's more i'm on windows 8, most things talk of it being on vista and windows 7.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:54 PM

DWM.EXE is the Desktop Windows Manager.  It's part of Windows.  Leave it alone if you don't want to create problems for yourself.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,967 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

it's just really weird that it's running under another username.

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:22 PM

Computers and my wife often do things I'm hard pressed to explain.  I found today's paper in my toolbox.  If I hadn't happened to go in that toolbox, I'd never have know where the paper was.   :bounce:

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#7 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,967 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:07 AM

just to ask again: has anyone else actually seen any of the exact behaviours i listed above?

thanks

#8 ncksta

ncksta

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) is a valid process that should be located in \Windows\System32.  DWM-1 is new system user in Windows 8 that is only used for the dwm.exe process.  The service will automatically restart itself if you end it, which is why it keeps coming back.  To answer your question, yes I get the exact behavior you do on a Windows 8 machine.  It's normal, don't be paranoid . :)

Edited by ncksta, 18 June 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#9 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:39 AM

My laptop just now:

Attached Files

• Attached File  DWM.PNG   20.52KB   0 downloads

Edited by HairCut, 19 June 2014 - 09:46 AM.

#10 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,967 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:24 PM

thanks. as several of you have seen it it clearly isn't just me, i'm glad there's nothing to worry about here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users