Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard malfunction when using leftshift.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dall

Dall

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:29 PM

Hi.

Recently, my keyboard seems to have a life itself. It all started when the CAPS LOCK light blinked sometimes from nothing... then it started to turn itself on and off whenever it wants. I suspected it was a malfunction from the keyboard, but my computer (Dell Inspiron 3540) only have a year and I do not use the CAPS key very often.

More recently, the left shift is not working with the keys 2, w, s and x. If I want to make an uppercase of those letters I have to press the right shift. Thats when I started to think it could be a malware or something like that, because those keys work just fine, but only if i'm not pressing the left shift key.

Strange thing is that everytime the computer starts, the CAPS key is turned on automaticaly. Also, when I try to type the password on my emails website, it says the CAPS key is on, even if it isnt. Ive got the same mensage from when I was registering to bleepingcomputer.com.

Ive run a complete scan with my old antivirus (McAfee), but it found nothing. Runned malwarebytes anti-malware, and it did find a PUP, but even after the exclusions, the problem persists. Ive also run a complete scan with Microsoft safety scanner and later with windows defender, and they did find some PUPs, but again, after the exclusions, the problem persists.

Last thing, my touchpad seemed to stop working when I disconnected my USB mouse... then even after ive reconnected the mouse, it wasnt working for sometime.

Also, the CAPS light on my keyboard went crazy when I was running some of the scans... just like when it all started.

All the scans were done using normal mode, not safe mode. I'm using Windows 8 in a Dell Inspiron 3540. Could anybody help me and confirm if is that a malware or a keyboard malfunction? Cause Ive seem some people saying that they were having the same problem, and even a keyboard change didnt solve the problem.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:21 PM

Sounds like a short. Has anything ever been spilled on the keyboard? Or the laptop in general?

EDIT: In case you haven't yet, check your Device Manager for any flags that drivers or hardware aren't working correctly.

A blinking CAPS light during boot is a warning that something hardware related is not working 100%. The blinks are supposed to coincide with POST codes, but I've yet to come across a situation where I had to know how many lights and so forth, so I'm not certain thats the issue.

The keys you mentioned are all in the same area of the keyboard, so I'm leaning pretty hard toward a hardware issue. I just replaced a keyboard in a laptop where the owner had spilled water on it...afterwards the keyboard would randomly start typing 't' or holding the Down arrow. So the Run command line would start going 'ttttttttttttttt....' until I pressed another key, or the Task Manager would constantly cycle downwards through the processes...get the picture?

It was so random that I suspected malware, it even happened when I connected a USB keyboard. But when I physically removed the laptop keyboard the problem disappeared. A replacement keyboard fixed the issue.

If you're up to it, you can experiment by removing the laptop keyboard (detaching the ribbon cable) and running the laptop off a USB keyboard. Same goes for the touchpad and mouse, but you'll likely have to do a bit more disassembly to the laptop.

Edited by Netghost56, 12 June 2014 - 03:21 PM.

#3 Dall

Dall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:29 PM

Sounds like a short. Has anything ever been spilled on the keyboard? Or the laptop in general?

EDIT: In case you haven't yet, check your Device Manager for any flags that drivers or hardware aren't working correctly.

A blinking CAPS light during boot is a warning that something hardware related is not working 100%. The blinks are supposed to coincide with POST codes, but I've yet to come across a situation where I had to know how many lights and so forth, so I'm not certain thats the issue.

The keys you mentioned are all in the same area of the keyboard, so I'm leaning pretty hard toward a hardware issue. I just replaced a keyboard in a laptop where the owner had spilled water on it...afterwards the keyboard would randomly start typing 't' or holding the Down arrow. So the Run command line would start going 'ttttttttttttttt....' until I pressed another key, or the Task Manager would constantly cycle downwards through the processes...get the picture?

It was so random that I suspected malware, it even happened when I connected a USB keyboard. But when I physically removed the laptop keyboard the problem disappeared. A replacement keyboard fixed the issue.

If you're up to it, you can experiment by removing the laptop keyboard (detaching the ribbon cable) and running the laptop off a USB keyboard. Same goes for the touchpad and mouse, but you'll likely have to do a bit more disassembly to the laptop.

No... nor water or anything else was ever spilled over the keyboard. Its strange because... I remember having this same issue a long time ago on a desktop PC... and, if I remember correctly, it wasnt anything with the keyboard... and the problem seemed to go away sometimes.

hen I was scanning for malwares, the caps light was blinking so fast that it would be impossible to someone count the number of times it blinked... so probably not a warning of hardware malfunction. Also, if it was a short, the keys wouldnt work, right? The problem is specific with the left shift (shift+x or shift+2 or shift+s or  shift+w).

Ive checked the device manager and theres no error messages... ive tried to reinstall the keyboard drivers... but the problem persists. =(

Besides that, the caps key always turns itself on when windows is about to start.

Should I post the problem on the virus/malware section?

Edited by Dall, 12 June 2014 - 06:43 PM.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:52 PM

Crud can accumulate below the keys and cause this kind of thing at times.  I use Post-it notes to slide under the keys and clean up.  You could always try plugging in a USB keyboard seeing if it has the same problem.  If it does, you could have malware, but if not, then you know it's just crud needing to be cleaned out.  You can buy USB keyboads for as little as $4; that's a pretty cheap diagnostic tool.   :thumbup2:

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 Dall

Dall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:26 AM

Crud can accumulate below the keys and cause this kind of thing at times.  I use Post-it notes to slide under the keys and clean up.  You could always try plugging in a USB keyboard seeing if it has the same problem.  If it does, you could have malware, but if not, then you know it's just crud needing to be cleaned out.  You can buy USB keyboads for as little as $4; that's a pretty cheap diagnostic tool.   :thumbup2:

Good luck.

I'll try that mate... thanks. Just asking... did you have this problem too? My biggest concern is why the caps lock key always turns on when windows is about to start.

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:28 AM

I've had numerous keyboard problems over the years, more than I can remember.  I know a lot of keyboard and other lights blink during startup, but I don't recall having the caps lock key come on permanently like that.  Any key with crud under it can stick and cause problems though.  I just had to replace a desktop keyboard because it would stick typing pluses when I went to sign on.  Post-it notes are a pretty cheap way to fix such problems though.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users