Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Deleting a File

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 rustyharp

rustyharp

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:15 PM

Hello, I'm new to the forums and I have a problem with a file that I can't seem to find reference of anywhere. For quite a few years I've had a fragmented file on my C drive that I can't delete. The computer recognizes it as 0kb and I get the "Cannot delete file: cannot read from the source file or disk" message.

So, because of that, I downloaded LockHunter to delete it that way, but that doesn't work either. At first it says Windows Explorer is locking it and sometimes it says it's free, but I can only unlock it, not delete it.

I suppose I should say what the file is, huh? It's called 'HoTMaiL[1].' (with the period and everything) and I can't find any other references to it online or on tech forums. It's in the C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\OL2QQY2X directory.

I guess it's not really much of a bother, but I've had it for so long and I see it every time I defragment. I really hope someone can help me as I have no other options. Help is very much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:59 PM

Try this: http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

Best of luck.

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 12 June 2014 - 02:59 PM.

#3 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:09 PM

In a command window, at the admin level, try this

del "\\?\C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\OL2QQY2X directory\HoTMaiL[1]."

Change "Username" to whatever it really is, and include the quotes and period, and the "\\?\" at the beginning.

Best of luck.

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 12 June 2014 - 03:11 PM.

#4 rustyharp

rustyharp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

I tried Unlocker, but I can't use it because I can only access the Content.IE5 folder through the Run command. And the command prompt didn't work either and says "The system cannot find the file specified." I typed it in exactly as you said, too. My computer just doesn't want to recognize that this file exists. I don't know what to do.

Thank you for trying anyways.

#5 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:44 PM

The file allocation table might be hosed.

I found this: http://repairerrors.net/repair-file-allocation-table.html

WARNING: I HAVE NO IDEA IF THIS IS A REPUTABLE SITE OR NOT, USE THE REFERENCED PROGRAM AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Best of luck.

#6 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:52 PM

I would strongly urge you to upgrade to AT LEAST WINDOWS 7, or if you can afford it (meaning a new PC), Windows 8.  Most of the people I've talked to, or what I've read on the Internet, doesn't like the start screen.  However their are free Start Menu programs on the Internet that will bring back the start menu (like Windows XP, Vista, and 7).  I prefer Stardock's Start 8, and the cost is about $5.  Using these start menu programs will take you to the desktop, and your interaction with the Windows 8 interface will be greatly reduced.  In my case, I interact with the Windows 8 portions probably less than 5% of the time.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Windows XP, but it's time is past!

Best of luck!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:11 PM

In a command prompt could you type the following

CD "C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\OL2QQY2X"

If you get the prompt without an error

type

Attrib   <enter>

This will give a list of files with attributes including hidden and system. If the files have a hidden or system attrib you would not see the file in the command window. Is the HoTMaiL[1]. lightly shaded when you see it in explorer? It's definitely a bogus looking file.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 June 2014 - 04:12 PM.

#8 rustyharp

rustyharp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:12 PM

I'm not that desperate to fix it, so I'm going to have to pass on that last site; seems to risky. I hate to come here with something that probably can't be fixed, because I don't want to waste anyone's time. Thank you for all your help, though, I appreciate it! :)

Well, for one, I definitely do not have the $100+ to upgrade my 11-year-old computer (it still runs really good for what it's worth) to Windows 7, or the $1000+ to build a new computer in order for it to be compatible for Windows 8. Even my good gaming computer ($1200), which is pretty old by today's standards, doesn't meet the system requirements for Windows 8. Either way, I'd have to get a new computer.

My computer's still reliable, though. I've got all of Microsoft's updates, I have Avast, and I know what I'm doing when I download or install programs or files so as not to unknowingly corrupt my computer. I'm basically going to use this computer until it dies haha.

Edited by rustyharp, 12 June 2014 - 04:17 PM.

#9 rustyharp

rustyharp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:17 PM

In a command prompt could you type the following

CD "C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\OL2QQY2X"

If you get the prompt without an error

type

Attrib   <enter>

This will give a list of files with attributes including hidden and system. If the files have a hidden or system attrib you would not see the file in the command window. Is the HoTMaiL[1]. lightly shaded when you see it in explorer? It's definitely a bogus looking file.

I have all my files unhidden already. It's not shaded and does appear in the command.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

So what appears in the listing when you type attrib?

Edit: You might want to try file assasin by Malwarebytes. If that does not work, I would delete it by booting to a Live CD of Puppy linux where Windows does not matter. If Puppy fails then I would say running chkdsk would be in order.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/fileassassin/

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 June 2014 - 04:26 PM.

#11 rustyharp

rustyharp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:39 PM

It looks like it just lists the file location with I think an 'A' in front of it. I'm sorry, I don't really know what that means.

Edit: You might want to try file assasin by Malwarebytes. If that does not work, I would delete it by booting to a Live CD of Puppy linux where Windows does not matter. If Puppy fails then I would say running chkdsk would be in order.

I don't really want to go as far as to download Malwarebytes, and I wouldn't even known what to do with the latter. I'm a quick learner, but I can't do something too complicated. I'm afraid I'd mess it up.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:16 PM

You are not downloading Malwarebytes, only their file assassin utility thats only 168KB. Run it in an admin account and browse to the file. Check all boxes including delete file.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 June 2014 - 06:34 PM.

#13 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:28 PM

It looks like it just lists the file location with I think an 'A' in front of it. I'm sorry, I don't really know what that means.

I don't really want to go as far as to download Malwarebytes, and I wouldn't even known what to do with the latter. I'm a quick learner, but I can't do something too complicated. I'm afraid I'd mess it up.
It's highly unlikely that you would mess up your computer by booting it from a CD.

All you have to do is download a Puppy ISO such as this one:

http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00346

...burn it to a blank CD using an ISO burner such as this:

http://www.freeisoburner.com/

..set the ''first boot device'' in the BIOS to CD, put the Puppy CD in the drive, reboot your computer and Puppy will automatically load, then navigate to the offending file and manually delete it.

If you don't know how to do any of the above, we will be happy to walk you through it.

BTW, I first used Puppy for exactly the same reason, to delete a file in the Windows partition that Windows would not allow me to delete. I was so impressed with Puppy when I booted up with it, that I've been using it ever since!

Edited by Al1000, 12 June 2014 - 07:32 PM.

#14 rustyharp

rustyharp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:07 AM

You are not downloading Malwarebytes, only their file assassin utility thats only 168KB. Run it in an admin account and browse to the file. Check all boxes including delete file.

Okay, I used FileASSASSIN and even that said the file didn't exist! I checked all of the boxes and even tried to delete both the file and the folder. All I got was the "The file you have specified does not exist or is not visible to FileASSASSIN. Please select another file" message. I tried using all three deletion methods, even the reboot, but all of them got the same message.

It's highly unlikely that you would mess up your computer by booting it from a CD.

All you have to do is download a Puppy ISO such as this one:

http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00346

...burn it to a blank CD using an ISO burner such as this:

http://www.freeisoburner.com/

..set the ''first boot device'' in the BIOS to CD, put the Puppy CD in the drive, reboot your computer and Puppy will automatically load, then navigate to the offending file and manually delete it.

If you don't know how to do any of the above, we will be happy to walk you through it.

BTW, I first used Puppy for exactly the same reason, to delete a file in the Windows partition that Windows would not allow me to delete. I was so impressed with Puppy when I booted up with it, that I've been using it ever since!

I'll try doing this next. It doesn't sound that complicated when you explain it like this, but I will need instructions please.

#15 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:21 AM

I'll try doing this next. It doesn't sound that complicated when you explain it like this, but I will need instructions please.

No problem. Do you know how to get your computer to boot from CD?

As I recall, the ISO burner I posted a link to has instructions on it, and it really is easy to use. It's small and simple enough that you don't need to actually install it. Just download the file, click on it, and the program opens up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users