Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Embedded Ads Virus


  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 maxchat

maxchat

  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:07 PM

Sorry to bother you guys but I found you through a search looking for answers to my Ads Virus issue. I found a topic back on Feb 2013 which seems to be the exact same thing I'm suffering from

 

 http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/486908/embedded-ads-virus/

 

I keep getting theses ads which are just bloody annoying, green double underlined words which give pop up banners and redirection to various poker siites etc.

 

The above link seemed to win the day but it looks like an involved process so I thought gringo_pr might be able to do the same for me?

 

Regards

 

maxchat


Edited by hamluis, 12 June 2014 - 02:14 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

  • Members
  • 1,149 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:US of A
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:27 PM

 I'll say it sure does seem involved!  Whenever I suspect something like this here's what I do.  Download and install the free version of Malwarebytes and get it up to date.  Boot to Safe Mode and do a full system scan with Malwarebytes and your antivirus program.  Note: this will take a while - likely a few hours.

 

 This is all I've ever had to do 98% of the time.  The other 2% can be a royal pain, but try the above first.  Also if you haven't backed up any data you don't want to lose, I'd recommend doing that.

 

Good luck.


Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 maxchat

maxchat
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:30 PM

Tried the Malwarebytes idea but no joy. Still getting green double underlined words with pop up advertising.

 

Any more ideas?

 

Max



#4 noknojon

noknojon

  • Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:41 PM

Are the double-underlined words that you are referring to like the example provided in This topic (Post #1)?

 

 If so, this is called In-text advertising and it is very common.

 

Kontera and Vibrant are two of the more popular advertising networks that provide in-text advertising and information services.

 

======= < This is a typical example of the lines (without the pop up)

 

See full post >>> HERE

 

 

 (Credit to quietman7 for the text)



#5 maxchat

maxchat
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:03 PM

noknojon seems to have the answer. I've dared to click on the ads and then opt out. So far all seems well. Thanks, those ads were a real pain.

 

My Wife is going to think I'm a computer genius too.

 

Thanks for your help.

 

Max



#6 noknojon

noknojon

  • Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:39 AM

You are welcome -

 

And the original topic text is from quietman7 (our resident Antivirus man).






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users