Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aol Email Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tuxette

Tuxette

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 02:51 AM

This is a problem I am posting for my Mother who is using AOL Broadband. She has recently bought a new computer and this problem has only occured since the new PC arrived. Apparently on many occasions, when writing an email, the email window simply disappears! She has no idea why this happens but the email has GONE. It is not in items to be sent later, it is not anywhere. I wonder if she is hitting a combination of keys which somehow manage to do this or can there be another reason? I am baffled. Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:11 AM

Some further information ( I know it would be second hand, but it would help members work towards a solution) seems needed. First, is your Mother composing her E-mails on-line or is she using an application such as Outlook Express. At precisely what step does this happen, and does it happen always at a certain point ( e.g., when she hits "send")? Is the Windows version of the new computer different than what she had on the old one? Any keyboard differences?

Since the problem does not seem to be consistent or always happen, it is most likely something she is doing wrong, or accidentally doing, that is causing the problem.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Tuxette

Tuxette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:17 AM

Thanks John. AOL doesn't use a separate Email programme, it is inbuilt into the AOL browser. She is online when she composes her emails and most of them are sent without a problem so this is an occasional 'fault' but nevertheless an irritating one. It seems to happen when she is in the middle of typing the email. Her new computer is Windows XP, as was her old one; yes, it is a new keyboard (DELL) and a very basic one too, no frills. I am cetain that it is something she is doing by accident but I cannot figure out what!

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:33 AM

I am not familiar enough with AOL to be able to help you further, but I suspect it is a combination involving either the shift key, the enter key, or the control key. If you can find a list somewhere on AOL of shortcut key combinations, that might give you a clue.
Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 27 May 2006 - 05:34 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users