Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DPC Watchdog Violation

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JayZ2010

JayZ2010

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:31 AM

Hello,

I have had the blue screen of death so many times it's driving me crazy. Can you guys guide me and help me solve this? I will post as much relevant information as possible.

computer name: PC
windows version: Windows 8 , 6.2, build: 9200
windows dir: C:\windows
Hardware: 535U3C, SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD., NP535U3C-A04CA
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD A6-4455M APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics AMD586, level: 21
2 logical processors, active mask: 3
RAM: 5880840192 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1924112384

Using WhoCrashed, I get this log:

Please advise for any further steps. All help is appreciated!

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Thu 2014-06-12 4:11:31 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown ()
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x504, 0x503, 0x0)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

On Tue 2014-06-10 4:00:10 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\061014-83522-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x5A440)
file path: C:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 2014-06-09 11:38:46 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\060914-48297-01.dmp
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 2014-06-08 3:09:29 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\060714-50403-01.dmp

On Sun 2014-06-08 1:59:24 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\060714-49982-01.dmp

On Sun 2014-06-08 1:37:08 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\060714-85238-01.dmp

On Fri 2014-06-06 12:11:43 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\060514-51215-01.dmp

On Sun 2014-06-01 10:40:16 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\060114-60138-01.dmp

On Sun 2014-06-01 10:20:36 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\060114-79248-01.dmp

On Sat 2014-05-10 2:59:23 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\051014-85098-01.dmp

Conclusion

18 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 10 are included in this report.
Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:45 AM

Two questions.  First I see several indications of thermal problems.  Have you checked your temperatures?  Have you used compressed gas to blow out the dust bunnies inside the computer?  I use SpeedFan for temps but there are others as well.  Temps over 50 degrees C can be a problem, over 70 C can cause circuit damage.

Also I see comments about drivers.  Have you installed any drivers that didn't come with your computer?  If so did they come from Samsung?  If not, that's also a possible problem.  Don't replace drivers unless you have a specific problem to fix, and when you do replace them, get them only from your computer's manufacturer.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 JayZ2010

JayZ2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

Hi,

I checked the temperature using speedfan and my laptop is consistently between 48C - 55C with only internet open so that may be a problem. I've also installed a Logitech wireless mouse, but that's the only driver I've installed/modified.

Speedfan is not compatible with my laptop so I'm looking for ways to cool down my laptop. Could you list a couple of those ways? For now, in the power settings I activated the System Cooling Policy...

Thanks

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:59 PM

For laptops I blow compressed gas into the air intake vents on the bottom.  That's all I do.  You should do it every 6 months or so because those dust bunnies do accumulate unfortunately.  

Good luck. 

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:25 PM

Hi Jayz2010 and welcome to the forums ^_^,

In order to help you out further, I would need the Dump files of the Blue Screens. Could you please navigate to "C:\Windows\Minidumps\" and zip up all the dump files and attach the zip file in your next post so that we could analyze it?

According to your post, the second parameter is the actual response time of the Driver whereas the 3rd parameter of the Bugcheck code is the Response time required by the DPC Watchdog.

Furthermore, ntoskrnl.exe is blamed which must not be the case as it is a Windows component and something else is driving it into fault. So in order to analyze what is driving it into fault, we would need the Dump files to analyze ^_^

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#6 JayZ2010

JayZ2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:55 PM

Hi,

Here is the attached dmp files.

Meanwhile, I also went to the store to purchase a cooling pad but they were all out. I'll go back in a couple of days and see if it helps...

Thanks for now!

Attached Files

#7 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,665 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:19 AM

Hi,

Here is the attached dmp files.

Meanwhile, I also went to the store to purchase a cooling pad but they were all out. I'll go back in a couple of days and see if it helps...

Thanks for now!

Hi Jayz2010, I have analyzed your dump files and below has been provided an analysis of your dump files just for informational purposes ^_^.

**************************Tue Jun 10 21:30:10.058 2014 (UTC + 5:30)**************************
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for tcpip.sys

Probably caused by : NETIO.SYS ( NETIO!StreamInjectRequestsToStack+23e )

BugCheck 133, {0, 504, 503, 0}
BugCheck Info: [url=http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x00000133]DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)[/url]

BUGCHECK_STR:  0x133

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME:  avgnsa.exe

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x133_DPC_NETIO!StreamInjectRequestsToStack

BIOS Version                  P07RAS.W73.130411.LEO

BIOS Release Date             04/11/2013

Manufacturer                  SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.

Product Name                  535U3C

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
**************************Tue Jun 10 05:08:46.345 2014 (UTC + 5:30)**************************

BugCheck Info: [url=http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x00000133]DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)[/url]

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
**************************Sun Jun  8 08:39:29.267 2014 (UTC + 5:30)**************************

**************************Sun Jun  8 07:29:24.558 2014 (UTC + 5:30)**************************

**************************Sun Jun  8 07:07:08.445 2014 (UTC + 5:30)**************************

**************************Fri Jun  6 05:41:43.303 2014 (UTC + 5:30)**************************

**************************Mon Jun  2 04:10:16.312 2014 (UTC + 5:30)**************************

**************************Mon Jun  2 03:50:36.254 2014 (UTC + 5:30)**************************

**************************Sat May 10 20:29:23.404 2014 (UTC + 5:30)**************************

**************************Wed Mar 12 05:14:22.236 2014 (UTC + 5:30)**************************

**************************Mon Mar 10 08:38:27.101 2014 (UTC + 5:30)**************************

**************************Mon Mar  3 07:58:20.786 2014 (UTC + 5:30)**************************

**************************Fri Jan 17 08:56:29.443 2014 (UTC + 5:30)**************************

Probably caused by : tcpip.sys ( tcpip+78b9f )

PROCESS_NAME:  svchost.exe

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x133_DPC_tcpip+78b9f

**************************Thu Nov 14 08:34:38.390 2013 (UTC + 5:30)**************************

**************************Thu Nov 14 08:12:32.146 2013 (UTC + 5:30)**************************

**************************Wed Nov  6 11:10:55.448 2013 (UTC + 5:30)**************************

BIOS Version                  P06RAS.W70.121224.LEO

BIOS Release Date             12/24/2012

**************************Tue Oct 15 03:08:18.453 2013 (UTC + 5:30)**************************
Probably caused by : pci.sys

BugCheck 9F, {3, fffffa8006175880, fffff80275028770, fffffa8011671650}
BugCheck Info: [url=http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x0000009F]DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)[/url]

BUGCHECK_STR:  0x9F

PROCESS_NAME:  System

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x9F_3_POWER_DOWN_athw8x_IMAGE_pci.sys

BIOS Version                  P06RAS.W70.121224.LEO

BIOS Release Date             12/24/2012

Now, we can see that in all the dump files, NETIO.sys is blamed, but the chance of it being faulty is very low as it is a Windows component. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION means that the DPC was running for a greater time than it was required to. In the second parameter of the bugcheck, we can see for how long the DPC actually ran while in the third parameter we can see the value for which the DPC was supposed to run (All in microseconds). When the actual value exceeds this value, the Windows calls the KeBugcheck.

Now, I see that in all of the Dump files, NETIO.sys has been blamed and there is presence of AVG Antivirus according to the loaded modules list. Could you please use this tool to remove AVG :- **LINK**.

Please use this tool only rather than using the Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel as many files of AVG are left intact after that.

Now, the last dump file gives a Driver_Power_State_Failure bugcheck with an exception code of "3". This means that an Input/Output Request Packet was blocked due to some faulty driver. If we run an !irp command on the 4th parameter of the bugcheck in WinDBG, we get the culprit i.e. the ATHW8x.sys which is the Qualcomm Atheros UB91/UB93/UB94 Network Adapter. 

Could you please update the below drivers after removing AVG (Check if the removal of AVG only, solves the issue or not) and see if the problem gets solved or not :-

**************************Tue Jun 10 21:30:10.058 2014 (UTC + 5:30)**************************
dsNcAdpt.sys                Tue Mar 31 08:03:33 2009 (49D180FD)
NEOFLTR_650_14599.SYS       Thu Aug 13 03:51:10 2009 (4A834056)
ctxusbm.sys                 Mon Sep  7 23:39:28 2009 (4AA54C58)
Rt630x64.sys                Tue Jun 12 19:07:53 2012 (4FD74631)
appexDrv.sys                Sun Jun 17 10:30:54 2012 (4FDD6486)
usbfilter.sys               Tue Jun 19 16:37:40 2012 (4FE05D7C)
btath_bus.sys               Thu Jun 21 10:52:17 2012 (4FE2AF89)
btath_lwflt.sys             Thu Jun 21 10:52:36 2012 (4FE2AF9C)
btath_avdt.sys              Thu Jun 21 10:52:40 2012 (4FE2AFA0)
btath_hcrp.sys              Thu Jun 21 10:53:29 2012 (4FE2AFD1)
AtihdW86.sys                Tue Jul 17 13:04:09 2012 (50051571)
amd_sata.sys                Tue Jul 24 00:04:48 2012 (500D9948)
amd_xata.sys                Tue Jul 24 00:04:52 2012 (500D994C)
RadioHIDMini.sys            Fri Jul 27 17:27:08 2012 (50128214)
RTKVHD64.sys                Tue Aug  7 16:19:39 2012 (5020F2C3)
btath_rcp.sys               Fri Aug 24 20:57:40 2012 (50379D6C)
btfilter.sys                Thu Sep 13 12:43:45 2012 (505187A9)
athw8x.sys                  Wed Sep 19 12:45:18 2012 (50597106)
btath_flt.sys               Thu Sep 27 15:19:09 2012 (50642115)
btath_a2dp.sys              Thu Sep 27 15:19:18 2012 (5064211E)
atikmpag.sys                Wed Oct  3 22:37:52 2012 (506C70E8)
atikmdag.sys                Wed Oct  3 23:43:30 2012 (506C804A)
ETD.sys                     Tue Oct  9 09:15:04 2012 (50739DC0)
intmfs.sys                  Fri Nov  2 05:51:01 2012 (509311ED)
intmsd.sys                  Fri Nov  2 05:51:06 2012 (509311F2)
**************************Wed Nov  6 11:10:55.448 2013 (UTC + 5:30)**************************
btath_rcp.sys               Thu Jun 21 10:53:26 2012 (4FE2AFCE)
btath_a2dp.sys              Thu Jun 21 10:53:44 2012 (4FE2AFE0)
btfilter.sys                Fri Aug  3 16:37:56 2012 (501BB10C)
btath_flt.sys               Fri Aug  3 16:39:44 2012 (501BB178)
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=dsNcAdpt.sys
NEOFLTR_650_14599.SYS - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.
RadioHIDMini.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.
intmfs.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.
intmsd.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.

Please let me know if the problem still persists and I would be happy to help you out further ^_^

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#8 JayZ2010

JayZ2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

Hello blueelvis,

I appreciate the help greatly. I have uninstalled AVG with your uninstaller and will check if it solves the problem. Since these crashes occur at random times, I will follow up either after the first crash or in a couple of days when the problem seems to have been solved.

Thanks

#9 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:13 PM

Speccy is another tool that will give you some temperature readings in case you have more problems.  You can download it from BC.

Good luck.

#10 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,665 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:34 PM

So has the problem solved or not?

#11 JayZ2010

JayZ2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:51 PM

Hello blueelvis,

The problem seems to have been solved. I have not had a crash since uninstalling AVG. Thank you so much for your help!

#12 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,665 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:57 AM

Hello blueelvis,

The problem seems to have been solved. I have not had a crash since uninstalling AVG. Thank you so much for your help!

You are welcome mate. I would advise you to test your rig and make sure it is stable. In case of further problems, please do not hesitate to post back ^_^.

@Mods :- Could you please mark this topic as solved?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users