Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Solutions for backing up and restoring system drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 soloowaty

soloowaty

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

Hi Guys!

In few days I will have my new computer with Windows 8.1, and I wonder what solution would be the best for easy backing up and restoring of system drive in the new machine. For last 5 years I've been using Acronis to creat an image of entire partition c: , with windows and all my crucial software, and if only my system felt slow or there was too many stuff installed, I simply restored it from this image (of course appdata was moved to d:, so that no settings of my programs were replaced). From time to time I was making new image, so that it was always ready to work 'out of the box' with all the updates etc..

I wonder if there is maybe some kind of different solution to accomplish the same as I don't want to move appdata to d: any more because I'll have ssd drive for my system, and I would prefer to have it all in one partition, so my solution will no longer be effective. Is there any native Windows 8 solution for system backup and is it any good? Or maybe I could simply backup "windows" and "program files" folders, and restore just them. Would it be as effective as restoring entire partition?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:00 PM

I've been using Easeus Todo Backup Free with Windows 8 for about 1.5 years and really like it.  It's free for home use.
  The March 2012 issue of PC World was very high on the FREE program from Easeus and so is CNET.  In my experience with a variety of configurations I have to say I'm very impressed.  Like Ghost (which unfortunately is no longer on the market) it will back up to a networked drive, and it will create a boot CD for when your PC won't boot.  Don't download from CNET if you don't want malware, but you can see CNET's review of it at
If you want to download it, go to the Easeus.com web site.
-
 CNET has a lot of backup program reviews at 

Some of these are free (last time I checked there were over 300), some have free trials (over 1000), and some are purchase only (over 200).
-
External hard drives are best for backup. You can get a 500 GB one for around $50 and a 1 TB one for around $60. You can also buy a 32 GB flash drive for under $20.  It's the best insurance you can ever buy!

-
I hope this helps.  Good luck

Edited by wpgwpg, 12 June 2014 - 01:03 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:23 PM

Another user recommended this one

http://www.macrium.com/

also free, I'm testing now. So far very impressed and impressive

Stay well and surf safe

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:26 PM

I have been using Macrium Reflect free edition for a couple of years and it has never failed me yet. The free edition does not allow for incremental backups, but I prefer the entire partition imaged anyway. I have installed it on several clients' computers also with no complaints. It is not fast.... backing up my 1TB drive takes about 2.5 hours, but I just start it at night before I go to bed, enable the shutdown on completion option, and in the AM it's done. It runs smooth, and regularly installs updates within seconds.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 soloowaty

soloowaty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:43 AM

Thanks guys! I will check them both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users