Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems turning on wireless adapter

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Eldheni

Eldheni

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:13 AM

My laptop is a Toshiba, and the operating system is Windows 7. 

Last night, I set my laptop ran a bunch of updates and I went to bed. This morning when I tried to get on, it wasnt detecting any networks. There is no external switch for my laptop, but I did the FN-F8 process to check that my wifi is enabled. It is. AND its light is on. I then checked the other  laptops in the house (one of which I am on now, hence being able to post), and see that the internet is running fine. I tried resetting my router just in case, it booted back up, and all of my teenagers devices (phones, laptop, and tablet) all got back online as expected....my laptop did not.

I tried to troubleshoot the laptop, and it failed. I tried doing a hard reset (turned off the laptop, unplugged it, took out the battery, held down the power button for 30 seconds, put battery back in, plugged in power cord,and turned on. Still nothing. I then right-clicked on the red network symbol to open the network center and viewed the full map, and it says "The adapter is not connected"

Yet, the light is still on, and when I push FN and select the wifi symbol and hover over the on/off button, it says it's on. I am thinking something went wrong in an updates? Is there anything else I can do or check before I am forced to go back to a restore point?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:39 AM

Go to Control Panel>>> Network and Sharing Center >>> Change Adapter Settings (on the left side of the screen) and see if you have any adapter present there. If  the wireless adapter is Disabled, right-click and Enable it. If it is Enabled, Disable it and then Enable it back (to basically reset the adapter). Sometimes this little trick works if it is not a serious hardware problem.

post-896581-0-12529000-1402543708.jpg

Edited by badr0b0t, 12 June 2014 - 11:43 AM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#3 Eldheni

Eldheni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

I do not, no. I have Local Area Connection (network cable unplugged), The Internet (1) (Disconnected) and Wireless Network Connection (not connected).

However, The Internet (1) has the same image as yours. When I right-click on it, however, enable/disable is not an option. Connect is an option. Shall I click on that?

Edited by Eldheni, 12 June 2014 - 01:04 PM.

#4 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:06 PM

I do not, no. I have Local Area Connection (network cable unplugged), The Internet (1) (Disconnected) and Wireless Network Connection (not connected).

However, The Internet (1) has the same image as yours. When I right-click on it, however, enable/disable is not an option. Connect is an option. Shall I click on that?

Go right ahead....

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#5 Eldheni

Eldheni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:12 PM

It failed to connect. It said "Error 628. Connection terminated by remote computer before it could be completed"

#6 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:33 PM

You may want to try reinstalling your network adapter driver. You computer is not detecting your network adapter at all.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#7 Eldheni

Eldheni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:55 PM

How do I do that?

#8 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:16 PM

what is the exact model of your laptop?

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:54 PM

Drivers are this site, begin with your model or serial number. Be sure to select the drivers for your OS, as there may be those listed for others.

http://support.toshiba.com/

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 12 June 2014 - 05:55 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 Eldheni

Eldheni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:26 PM

Will I be able to download from the site onto a flash drive and then move it to the laptop? Remember, that laptop can't connect to the internet to download that..

#11 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:36 PM

Thanks Cat.

Yes, flashdrive will work.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#12 Eldheni

Eldheni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

I am having trouble locating the correct driver :/

I have a Toshiba, Windows 7 64-bit. The model is Satellite L655.

#13 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:57 PM

I am having trouble locating the correct driver :/

I have a Toshiba, Windows 7 64-bit. The model is Satellite L655.

Look here http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=2681569

Scroll down and click "All Drivers and updates", then select WIndows 7 64-bit and find the Realtek Wireless LAN Driver.

Attached File  toshiba.jpg   164.06KB   0 downloads

Edited by badr0b0t, 12 June 2014 - 08:03 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#14 Eldheni

Eldheni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:53 PM

Downloaded that, and no luck in fixing the problem.

I'm still finding it weird that I can't even troubleshoot, though. It errors out every time. On top of that, I can't access any of my games, despite the fact that they don't require internet access to play. I am wondering if something else is going on in the laptop :/

Edited by Eldheni, 13 June 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,635 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:28 PM

Does your wireless adapter show in Device Manager under Network Adapters and does it have any yellow exclamation mark next to it? You should have two adapters shown under Network Adapters, your Ethernet and Wireless adapter.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 June 2014 - 08:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users