Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network connection ok, cannot connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Keyser_Soze

Keyser_Soze

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

Hello all, been reading information all over the place, but been unable to come up with a solution.

Currently one computer on a small network is unable to connect to the internet. This computer is able to access the network, but no internet connection. No other computers are having an issue.

This computer is running an up to date Windows 7.

The error given in Microsoft's network troubleshoot tool is "The remote device or resource won't accept the connection on port http."

So far I have tried the following:

-Reset IE settings

-Turned off IE proxy settings

-Re-install LAN driver

-Disabling firewall/AV

-Booting in safe mode with networking (still no internet connection)

Attached is the result from MiniToolBox.

Any help would be appreciated, this one has me a bit stumped.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:00 AM

Can you run this command and post the IPInfo.txt file?

ipconfig /all >IPInfo.txt

#3 Keyser_Soze

Keyser_Soze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:06 AM

Can you run this command and post the IPInfo.txt file?

ipconfig /all >IPInfo.txt

Sure, see attached.

Attached Files

#4 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

you said that this computer was part of a small network, and the IP range reflects that.  However, do you have any servers on the network? Specifically, a DNS server?

I ask because according to the ipinfo that you posted your computer is trying to talk to a DNS server within your network before going out. If you do not have a local DNS server you need to change this to the ones that your ISP provides, or to my personal favorites...google.  Please let me know so we know if continuing down this path is the correct option.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

For the IP config it looks like the DNS server is set to 192.168.1.5 and 4.2.2.68, but the gateway is 192.168.1.1.  While this is possible, it isn't normal.  I don't know what 4.2.2.68 is.  You might want to try setting DNS to Google's DNS of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

If the DNS is not working you won't be able to go to www.yahoo.com, but you will be able to go to 98.139.180.149

You can run GRC's DNS Benchmark to find the best DNS for you.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:28 PM

Another thing, unless you have 200 plus machines on this network you should increase your DHCP lease to a much longer period, with a one hour lease the machines are renewing their lease every 30 minutes.  You should be able to do at least a seven day lease without issue and it will cut down on network traffic.

#7 Keyser_Soze

Keyser_Soze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

Alright, been a bit busy. 

192.168.1.5 is the local ip of our server. All of the other machines (7 total) have the same DNS server settings, I assume this means the server is a DNS server?

The affected computer started working again around the time the DHCP lease expired, I assume right when the new lease was obtained. If this problem pops up again, would I be able to flush the DNS to resolve the problem? If so, I would think running MiniToolBox earlier would have resolved it, Flush DNS was checked.

Currently the DHCP lease is set to 6 hours, I'll have to look at increasing that. Not sure why the lease time in this instance was so short though.

Edit: Logged in to the server and saw that DNS manager was running, should have just looked for this before.

Edited by Keyser_Soze, 12 June 2014 - 05:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users