Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP transfer to Windows 7 Question??

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

I understand when you upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 that you have to do a clean install of the operating system.  What I am wondering is if you use an external drive and use Microsoft's Easy Transfer to move files, pictures, music, etc. if it will also save the drivers that are specific to the machine.??

I am working with a custom built computer that has no drivers disk to provide installation to the new operating system.  I do know how to search for drivers but it would be a great help to know if the Microsoft XP transfer program would work to also save drivers.

Please advise.

Sincerely,

Steve Bell

p.s.  Your assistance is most appreciated!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:43 AM

The drivers for one version of Windows..;.are not necessarily going to work in a more current O/S.  There's no point in thinking about transferring drivers, which are tied to the motherboard of a non-OEM (HP, Dell, etc.).

If your system is custom-built...the best source of drivers relative to that motherboard...is the website of the motherboard manufacturer.

The best source of drivers for components whose functionality are not part of the motherboard...is the manufacturer of said components.  Examples would be a physical video card, USB-connected devices, etc.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users