Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 freezes on check disk

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 M Tuggle

M Tuggle

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:14 AM

need some help... every time my computer restarts and runs the check disk it gets all the way through it and then the screen goes blank and the whole thing freezes up and I have to do a hard restart and skip the disk check. what is the problem?

it is a dell xp 8300 64 bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sheena79

sheena79

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:29 AM

1) It'll keep asking until you let it run to completion. (Your hard drive is marked "dirty". Checkdist will mark it "clean" on successful completion.) 

2) Checkdisk can take days (the longest I've ever seen was a little over 7 days - on a 30GB drive - but I've heard of it taking longer.) It can look "frozen" for hours at a time. That's normal on a dying drive. 

3) You unmarked the dirty bit. The drive is still dirty, Windows just doesn't know it. Your friend is right. One day the drive will just hard crash and you'll have to replace it. I hope all your important files are backed up. 

4) Sleeping just works the drive harder (all of RAM has to be saved to sleep, then reread to wake up). It just isn't accessing the system area of the drive, which is probably where the problem is. Let Checkdisk complete and, if it's a minor problem, it'll be fixed. (I'd still clone the drive, "government format" it, toss it and replace it. 

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:25 AM

You can look at the disk activity light on the computer to see if it's still working.  Make sure you have your system set to NOT go into sleep mode, since this just stops everything until you manually intervene.  I take it you meant Dell XPS 8300.  I see those have been around since 2011, so it's very possible your hard drive is on its way to the grave yard.  I suggest you download disk diagnostics from Western Digital or Seagate's web site and run them.  They will show the SMART data in addition to doing diagnostic tests which will give you extra important info.  It's still a good idea to run chkdsk to completion if you can because it will try to replace any bad sectors with alternates, which could extend the life of your drive.

Whatever happens, you should make backups of any data you don't want to lose because you don't know when/whether that hard drive is go out for good.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:09 PM

From a command prompt...run the chkdsk /r command after rebooting the system...or from safe mode.

The fact that chkdsk runs after booting the system...is not going to be effective.  You need to run the proper command.

Louis

#5 M Tuggle

M Tuggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:00 AM

Thanks for the help! I'll give it a try.

#6 M Tuggle

M Tuggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:01 AM

Ok.... I've gotten the desk check to run all the way through, however I think I'm infected with something... little stuff has changed, back ground colors mostly and my key board has short cut buttons that are not working any more. I have run Norton, Norman Malware, Combo Fix, and nothing was found. Any suggestions?

starting a new topic...

Edited by hamluis, 14 June 2014 - 09:05 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

I responded to your new topic and merged your last two posts in this topic.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users