Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing HP ENVY TS 15 screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Applause

Applause

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:45 AM

Hi,

I have almost a year old laptop, I love it. But, I want to get rid of the touch screen mainly due to the fact I barely use it, and can sell it off. I wish to buy a non-touch 1080p screen.

I saw a video,  showing how to take apart an Envy, just that is a 17" no biggie. But his is non-touch. My current is touch. I figure it'd be almost the same, just the glass extending farther for the touch.

Anyways, my question is. Would this screen: http://screensurgeons.mybigcommerce.com/15-6-1080p-full-hd-laptop-screen-with-led-backlight/ fit my laptop.. It's my only hope I see without having to sell this and buy a different laptop. I want 1080p to enjoy doing my graphics work in Photoshop, mainly having it ready before college. Before I jumped the gun, I wanted to get an expert(s) opinion.

My computer specs (from speccy, includes temps): Product number: E7Z34UA#ABA

Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4700MQ @ 2.40GHz 43 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Hewlett-Packard 1962 (U3E1) 44 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (HP)
Storage
238GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series (SSD) 37 °C*
29GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB Device (SSD) 37 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

*Yes I did the smart thing and re-installed win 8 on my newish SSD  :love4u: 

Thanks for reading and I hope for responses

Edited by Applause, 12 June 2014 - 03:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:16 AM

How much is the replacement screen? How much can you sell your touchscreen for? If you haven't done it before, I suggest you just leave it. It's not worth all the time and trouble. Just buy a regular 1080p monitor and just do a dual monitor setup if you have HDMI port. It's always good to have 2 monitors when working with Photoshop anyway.

Edited by badr0b0t, 12 June 2014 - 11:46 AM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#3 Applause

Applause
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:57 PM

How much is the replacement screen? How much can you sell your touchscreen for? If you haven't done it before, I suggest you just leave it. It's not worth all the time and trouble. Just buy a regular 1080p monitor and just do a dual monitor setup if you have HDMI port. It's always good to have 2 monitors when working with Photoshop anyway.

I've done other inner laptop changes so its not new to me. I will be in college with little room so another monitor isn't an option for me. The screen is $105, which isn't bad to me for great picture.. If it works on my laptop. I researched I might need to buy another cable for the new screen as well. I may open my laptop and check my touch screen model #

#4 Applause

Applause
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

I took the stickers off and saw I can't bend the screen back far enough to undo the screws to open the screen myself.

I contacted HP and they are taking the case to a higher authority. I asked them if I can send it in and they do it and that I am willing to pay a fee. $ talks... lol.

#5 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

15" is not that big enough to see the difference in 1080p. Plus the screen ratio of the one you are getting may not fit what you have. 

Aspect_Ratios_and_Resolutions.gif

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#6 Applause

Applause
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:45 PM

Maybe for those that don't have 20 20 vision, but I can see the difference. I have a few friends that have 1080p 15 inch laptops.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users