Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have 60.7 GB of files I can't delete

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 magnumpy

magnumpy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:48 AM

Hello. These files are mostly old windows installations. Whene I try to delete the folder I get a dialog box tells me "You require permission from S-1-5-21-674734606-2703667909-2863999092-1000 to make changes to this folder." The thing is my "user account" is "Joe." The only accounts listed under "Manage Accounts" in the control panel are "Joe" (administrator,) "HomeGroupUser$" (administrator, password protected,)  and "Guest" (guest account is off.) If you're wondering, I have no idea what the password is for "HomeGroupUsers$." What's weird is I can rename the folder with all the left over files, move it wherever I please, I just cannot delete it.

So, there you have it. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:42 AM

Hi

Have you tried deleting this weird "HomeGroupUser$" account ?. First try deleting the account while logged in as "Joe".

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/delete-a-user-account

Then take ownership of the folder in question as per the below guide.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1911-take-ownership-shortcut.html

Probably you will be able to delete the folder after that. 

#3 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

The homegroupuser cannot be normally deleted, but it appears in the security settings dialog.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:23 PM

If you're absolutely SURE your system doesn't need these, you could boot from a Linux DVD and delete them.  Ubuntu and Mint both have Windows-like user interfaces; my preference is Mint.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

You might also check on the properties of the folders. If they are set to 'read only' you can change that and then they might delete.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:47 PM

Just for laughs, try booting into safe mode and deleting them. I like to try the easiest things first, then get heavier. Another great Linux based virtual boot system is OTLPE; it has a Windows XP GUI which is easy to find your way around in. It loads slowly so be patient. You will see your hard drive as an icon on the desktop.

http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/OTLPENet.exe

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 bluemagma

bluemagma

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:52 AM

If you are unable to take ownership of the folder I would suggest using a program called "unlocker" I have used it in the past. Not sure if it is still available and free or not though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users