Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC issues (Not sure where to post this topic)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BobTheFreak

BobTheFreak

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:43 PM

Need advice from someone who knows what they are doing. I recently built gaming pcs for my wife and I. We recently moved to a tempory apartment next to our future apartment. We decided to get wi-fi turned on in our furture apartment so we could use it in our tempory one. The modem provided didn't put out a steady enough signal to be functional after traveling the 50 feet between the two apartments. So we installed a router that puts out a stronger signal. My pc picks up this signal just fine but my wife experiences times where her pc doesn't even show the signal but will show other near by ones. I thought it could be the plug and play wireless adaptor so I switched ours. Hers works fine in my pc but her pc still has trouble holding the connection or even finding it. I thought it could be the location so I moved her pc to a much closer room in relation to the other apartment but the problem continues. The two pcs are completely identical with the exception of their power supply and the programs installed on them. Does anyone know what could be causing our issues?

TLDR: Two identical pcs, one picks up wi-fi signal from 50 feet, one doen't, wireless adaptor insn't the problem, location isn't the problem. Help please.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 11 June 2014 - 09:54 PM.
moved from General Chat to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:28 PM

Try to see if the network adapter is in deep sleep mode and change it to something like "Maximum Performance" or set sleep to "Never" whichever option is available.

Attached File  networkadapter.jpg   120.86KB   0 downloads

Another thing that you can try is to go to Network and Sharing Center and "Disable" and "Enable" back the adapter to "reset" it.

Attached File  networkadapter2.jpg   38.89KB   0 downloads

Edited by badr0b0t, 11 June 2014 - 10:30 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#3 BobTheFreak

BobTheFreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

Thank you badr0b0t I checked the power settings and they were already set to maximum performance, I'll try the disable enable next time it acts up, does anyone else have any clue what could be the root of this issue should I be worried? I did build these pcs my self so I'm worried this might be a sign of a deeper software or hardware issue. It wouldn't be so alarming if it was consistantly not working or working but since it seems to jump from not recieveing signal to recieveing one at random times it is worrisome. Any further input would be appreciated.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:45 PM

Try using a different USB port or set the router's frequency mode to 20/40 GHz mix including the channel from auto to 1,6 or 11. See also toggling  from b/g/n band or mixed to b/g or dedicated N only would help improve the signal from one or both computers.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users