Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Backup Tool should I use

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,997 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:48 PM

I want to back up my xp system in case of any issues during this stressful time lol. and while trying some new stuff for my system.  I looked in the Downloads area but the only one I could see was from Malware Bytes.  I might go ahead and get the MB contract but maybe for now I can just use a free backup as I don't know how long I will be able to use this system.

Edited by hamluis, 12 June 2014 - 11:31 AM.
Moved from XP to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:04 AM

MalwareBytes is not a backup utility. I am a major proponent of disc imaging software. Here's something I put together a while ago:

Disk Imaging software takes a "snapshot" of your drive as it exists at the time you create the image. You can then restore the entire image or any file(s) or folder(s) you choose. It is a virtually foolproof way of backing up your system and providing a safe haven in the event of a catastrophe that requires you to blow away your system partition and restore it to a previous state. It also allows you to "test" various software and be confident that you have a the ability to return to the prior state any time you choose.

I use Acronis True Image. It is the best of breed, but it isn't free. The best free alternative is Macrium Reflect. 

1) I create an image of my system partition once a week to a second hard drive and keep the 2 or 3 most recent images. I also image my other partitions about once a month. I always enable "verify image" in the options. It takes a little longer, but insures a valid image.

2) I also create an image before performing any drive level function (ie, changing the size of a partition) or making any significant change to the OS (installing a service pack, upgrading IE, etc). Also sometimes before installing new software.

3) Images may be created on any medium (cd, dvd, external drive, etc). For obvious reasons they should not be stored on the same drive you are imaging. The best option is a second internal hd if you have one.

4) Images may be created "in the background" within the OS. If you need to restore the system partition, that will need to be done before the OS loads. You can start the process within the application in the OS and it will then tell you it needs to reboot to finish the process. Alternatively, you can boot to a "recovery disk" which you can create when you first install the software (or to the application disk itself if you have one). Other partitions can be restored without a reboot.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,997 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:06 PM

What is the difference between Back up all local drives on this computer or The one for just the partitions for windows.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,997 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:37 PM

This is confusing wow!  I am going to try and post a screenshot.  Wow I can't even figure out how to post a screenshot.

http://s976.photobucket.com/user/jetman350/media/2014-06-12_222807_zpsd904465c.png.html

Okay maybe this worked.

Is this not the preferred way to do this, I thought that one could just paste a screenshot right in the post?

Edited by pcpunk, 12 June 2014 - 09:47 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:06 PM

You need to backup all local drives on the computer. This will be the one that Windows is on & will also include any system & recovery partitions, if present. 

Make sure to create a Rescue CD upon installing & using. Because if not, your backup image is useless (unless you install the app to another computer & create the media). And be sure to create a folder in your backup drive for the backup. Name it something that you'll easily remember. 

Cloning is when one needs to move from one drive to another. 

What's the need for screenshots of this? The site explains this well. 

http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50074.aspx

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,997 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:38 PM

cat1092, I looked at the link you posted but it does not really explain clearly to a noob.

I used MacriumReflect to "Create Bootable Rescue Media" it is the button on the top left with a disc icon on it.  When I hover over it it says "Create Bootable Rescue Media"  My question is in "Backup Tasks" just below there are two choices: "Image all local drives on this computer" and "Create and Image of the partitions in order to back up and restore Windows".  Do I need to choose one of these or is this an old vid.  The vid looks a bit different than what I am looking at.  Maybe you have used this recently and you could help.  I want to make sure that I have done the image right.  I mean wouldn't there be a promt if I was needing to choose.  I am thinking that it is doing both unless specified.

Also how would I check if I did it right, I looked at the files but don't know what I am looking for.  I tried reading all that stuff but it is so foreign to me.

Okay I read this again and see that this function is for later versions of Windows, could you read and verify for me.

http://www.macrium.com/help/v5/reflect_v5.htm

I am still unclear as to how I know I did the right thing, I tried but nothing. 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:37 PM

pcpunk, yes you have those two choices.

For maximum protection, you should always backup all local drives on the computer, if there's multiple hard drives or SSD's, do it one at a time. Simply check the drive you wish to image. By default, all partitions are pre-checked. This will image & restore the entire drive in the event of failure or infection, using the bootable media you created.

The other option, "Create and Image of the partitions in order to back up and restore Windows", is what it implies. That will only backup the Windows partition, including any system partitions on Windows 7 & 8/8/1 needed to boot & run Windows.

If the Windows install the only partition on the drive, then you can use that option.

When Macrium creates the image, it'll also verify it to ensure that the integrity of the files are good, in other words, your image should be restorable. Not once have I had a Macrium backup fail to restore on my computer. There was one time with someone else's, that it failed, what the deal was, the person left the portable drive plugged in against my advise, there was a small Data partition on it (not wise to do). Anyway, the backup drive had been defragmented several times & it was the owner's fault that the corruption took place. Not the fault of the software or the image I created.

Backup drives should be used only for backups & nothing else. Period. Should it become infected, everything on the drive can be.

You'll know if you did it right, there will be a progress bar & you can see it in real time. There is even an option at the bottom of the backup window, a tab that says "Upon Completion". By default the computer will stay on, but you can click on it & choose Shutdown. This will take place only after the backup finishes & verifies.

Hope that this helps to explain. The more you use the app, the more comfortable you'll be in running it. I was confused the first time myself. BTW, Macrium is considered by many the best free backup app one can have. One can buy a brand new computer that ships with a 1TB HDD & clone it to a much smaller SSD, like I did late last year. It can do a lot.

Should you have any more questions, just ask.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:49 PM

One thing that I forgot to mention, you will be prompted to choose a folder to store the image to.

Plug in your backup drive & create a folder, name it whatever you choose (XP Backup, Macrium). something that you'll remember.

And if you look through the Help section of that article, you'll see the screenshots. On that left area, click Index & select Backup, you'll see several shots.

http://www.macrium.com/help/v5/reflect_v5.htm

EDIT: Here's a clear video of what to do. The one using it is doing Windows 8.1, but the same principle applies regardless of OS. Watch it closely.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 19 June 2014 - 10:59 PM.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,997 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:30 AM

Thanks cat, I should be all set then, feels good!  It makes sense as I could see that there was only one Partition or no partition? only one to copy.  And yes I read all about it at download.com I think, you know c.net something.

Edited by pcpunk, 20 June 2014 - 09:32 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

I use Easeus Todo Backup Free which is totally free for home use.  I've been using it for about 2 years now, and really think it's great.   :rolleyes:  I had a very bad experience with Acronis True Image, and I'll never go near it again.  It works well if you only have a single partition, but I had two PCs with 3 and 4 partitions with multiple versions of Windows, and it wiped them out.  :dance:

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,997 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

Thanks wpgwpg!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:08 PM

wpgwpg, I also use EaseUS Todo, have used the Free, but now use the Workstation version. Sometimes it's free on Giveaway of the Day, though it'll be one version behind. I can live with that.

Like Macrium Reflect does now, it allows for WinPE media to backup outside of Windows. Plus it has a way to add an option to the Boot Menu, that will access Backup or Restore the same was as a WinPE CD, only much faster.

I had a nasty experience with Acronis TI (2011) also, had two backups of my now not working HP. The images were verified. But neither would restore to the drive. Why, I don't know, as I had done the same on other computers with Acronis TI 2010 & all was fine. I believe that I messed up when upgraded from 2010 to 2011, as I wasn't able to use the key to 2010 anymore, since they let me use the 2010 install to upgrade to 2011. I was given a new key.

No, I don't mess with Acronis anymore. When I buy a new SSD & Acronis comes with it included, I don't bother. EaseUS Todo does a perfect job of moving things over, as long as the partitions are shrank first & they'll be aligned. This was with the Free version, I didn't have Workstation at the time.

That's another thing about Macrium, another member here, badr0b0t, told me on another forum (credit goes to him), I was able to clone a brand new install of Windows 8 from a 1TB HDD to a small 120GB SSD. This was before I installed Windows 7 on here, when Secure Boot & GPT were still on. All I done was selected Clone & then drag & dropped Windows 8 & all of those system partitions to the SSD, Macrium took care of the rest. Didn't even need to reboot after startup & all was aligned.

Only 80GB of the SSD was initially needed, after disabling System Restore & hibernation, another 15-16GB was freed, so came out good.

Cat

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:04 AM

Acronis True Image works just fine. I've been using it for more than 10 years and never had any issues - or heard of any issues - with verified images. There are of course user caused problems now and then, but the program itself is undeniably the best of breed.

#14 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:33 AM

My experiences were on two different desktops with different external hard drive images using ATI 2010.  The images were verified.  I used the stand alone bootable CD ATI made for the recovery.  I learned the painful hard way that this CD uses Linux, which is fine, except it replaced my Windows boot mechanism with a fouled up grub loader that wouldn't boot.  I was totally inexperienced with Linux at the time and had no idea how to fix it.  The Acronis TI forums were filled with similar reports, and nobody there including the Acronis "support" people had helpful suggestions.   :dance: YMMV.  I never had problems with Norton Ghost in 9 years before (unfortunately Symantec took it off the market) or Easeus Todo Backup Free in 3 years since.

Once again, each of these computers were test PCs having 3 or 4 partitions with differing versions of Windows installed.  That's likely different from what most people have.  

Edited by wpgwpg, 21 June 2014 - 09:35 AM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,297 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:15 AM

What I like about Macrium Free is it will let you create a WinPE bootable disk on XP with a download of only 150MB vs some image programs that require the full Microsoft WAIK that is over a GB if using XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users