Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netbook Battery Draining Fast

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Alumar

Alumar

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

I just bought this netbook from a friend and I've noticed the battery drains within an hour after use from full charge.

The netbook is an Acer Aspire one

Windows 7 ultimate.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

Batteries lose their ability to hold a charge over time.  My laptop is 2.5 years old, and I just started getting a notice that it now only has 40% of its original ability to hold a charge.  Windows 7 has the ability to do this I learned.  I just timed it last night, and after an hour even it was down to something like 23%.  If your netbook's over 2 years old, what you're seeing is par for the course.  I checked prices for mine and they vary all over the place with Amazon having them as low as $20, Micro Center having them for around $50, and Toshiba (my laptop's brand) for $75.  I'm sure the Toshiba ones are good, but I'm sure giving serious consideration to one of those Amazon ones that're so much cheaper.  I'm still researching this one.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Alumar

Alumar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:20 PM

Thanks! yeah, this one is 2 years old, that's the one I've been looking to.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:28 PM

Just a few F.Y.I. facts -

Battery life on a laptop / notepad is directly related to the tasks you're performing. While it's possible you got a "dud" battery, watching movies, playing graphics-intensive games, decoding the human genome, and keeping your screen on full brightness for a long period of time can all drain your battery quickly. The biggest offenders would probably be graphics-related.

It's very appropriate that this article came up on Lifehacker: http://lifehacker.com/5566020/how-to-maximize-the-battery-life-of-your-windows-laptop

Based on that article, the LCD screen is the biggest drain, and your brightness settings can have a lot to do with overall life.

#5 Alumar

Alumar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:30 PM

Thanks for the suggestion guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users