Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Flaw

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EffectiveBones484

EffectiveBones484

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:44 PM

Alright, let the rant begin:

A month back, Comcast backstabbed us and gave us <1 Mbps, when we were paying for 40+ Mbps. After three different routers and three different tech support guys came over, we "solved" the problem. Only not really.

It seems everywhere else the internet is fine. On this computer though (HP Pavilion p7-1534 PC, running Windows 8) it's anything but fine. The problem is that the connection randomly drops and says "Limited" in the Networks panel. I can reconnect immediately, but I play Wizard101 and once you lose connection for the slightest second, you have to restart the entire program (Which takes close to a minute). It has also been bothering other users of this computer.

Another odd thing is that, when I try to check the "Connect Automatically" box, and we lose connection again, the box NEVER stays checked. Even weirder, ALL of the other networks in my area have the "Connect Automatically" box checked. I think this may be part of the problem.

I am an avid hater of Windows 8 because nothing seems to work, including this. The internet was working fine until Comcast backstabbed us, but now I think it is just the computer.

Any ideas how to solve this? I am getting REALLY tired of it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

One more thing: We have no bandwidth problems, it just randomly dorps. My parents are considering buying a booster, would that solve the problem?

Edited by EffectiveBones484, 11 June 2014 - 08:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

It seems everywhere else the internet is fine. On this computer though (HP Pavilion p7-1534 PC, running Windows 8) it's anything but fine. The problem is that the connection randomly drops and says "Limited" in the Networks panel. I can reconnect immediately, but I play Wizard101 and once you lose connection for the slightest second, you have to restart the entire program (Which takes close to a minute). It has also been bothering other users of this computer.

Any ideas how to solve this? I am getting REALLY tired of it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

One more thing: We have no bandwidth problems, it just randomly dorps. My parents are considering buying a booster, would that solve the problem?

Try replacing the network cable for that computer if that doesn't resolve the issue. Then next thing you can do is to try to do a system restore/ or update your Ethernet adapter drivers.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

I gather you're doing this with a WiFi connection.  Can you try with a wired connection?  If not, I'd sure want to be sure you have 5 bars with your WiFi connection.  Also I wonder if maybe your router is using a WiFi channel someone else in close proximity to you is.  If so, it's possible to change the channel.  Just some thoughts.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:22 AM

I concur with the above. Try wired connection if possible and stay that way esp. if you have connection drop problems. Personally, I invested on 4 powerline adapters just so that all of my PCs will have a stable wired connection. I only use my wifi for smartphones and tablets.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#5 EffectiveBones484

EffectiveBones484
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:42 AM

Yes, I am using a wireless connection. I changed the wireless channel, and it seemed to help... only now it's dropping again. I do have five bars pretty much all the time, and excellent bandwidth, it just drops at random times. I am looking into powerline adapters, I think it may help. I have no other way to connect directly.

EDIT: I just tested on Speedtest.net and I got a download speed of 56.63 Mbps.

Edited by EffectiveBones484, 13 June 2014 - 12:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users