Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer keeps freezing up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Uselesslight

Uselesslight

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:17 PM

Hey everyone, I'm having this weird problem with my Acer Aspire 5517, Windows 7, 4GB DDR2, 150GB HDD yada yada..  Anyway, it keeps freezing at seemingly random times for upwards of 5 minutes at a time.  It happens the most frequently when I view a youtube video, but it does happen often while I'm doing other things like just surfing the net or word processing even.  If I leave it for awhile it unfreezes eventually and I can continue what I was doing prior to that.  One of the most annoying parts of the problem is that it doesn't leave any traces in the event viewer, even if I'm impatient and I hold the power button and hard shutdown...  Please help?  I would at least expect to see a fatal error recovery screen from Windows haha, but nothing......

It froze twice while I was writing this up

What I've done so far:

-HDD Scan with WDDiag, HDTune and I even tried with Seatools and they all came back perfectly normal, not even over temp warnings

-Memtest86, left running overnight and did several passes with no errors

-Booted into safe-mode with networking, it still froze after 10 minutes of use

-Used Norton Ghost to clone my drive to a brand new 500GB hdd and the problem persisted even on the new HDD

-Virus/Malware/Rootkit scans with hijackthis, farbar service scanner, mbam, SBSD, roguekiller, adwcleaner, rkill, mse and KAS Rescue disk and they all came back clean

-Reinstalled Windows 7 and all of the updates

-I suspected flash player plugin to be the problem, so I uninstalled the plugin and didn't watch any flash content for that period but the problem persisted again after that, I also did the same with the java plugin as well, but with the same results

-Made sure all of my drivers were up-to-date from the manufacturers website, not using windows update...in some cases I rolled back drivers to try older ones...problem still persists

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:42 PM

You've done a lot of the right things, but I'm wondering about temperatures.  I use SpeedFan to check them, but there're others as well.  If the cores get over 50 degrees C, that could be a problem.  Based on the size of your hard drive, I'm guessing your computer is a few years old.  When's the last time you blew compressed gas through the air intake vents to blow the accumulated dust out?  If over 6 months, that's something you really need to do.  Dust builds up inside these things and consequently causes overheating.  That causes things to really slow down, can cause crashes, and worst case can damage circuits.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:10 PM

Since you've tested everything else, I would suspect a bad motherboard or CPU. I would at least do a cursory visual exam of the board to see if you have any damage.

#4 Uselesslight

Uselesslight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:48 PM

I'd hoped to avoid doing a visual exam of the board lol.. 

WPGWPG the computer is dusted on a regular basis, I'm a technician, but in this case I was at a loss..

It appears that there are swollen capacitors on the motherboard, I haven't generally seen bad caps caue the computer to freeze up though..  I doubt it's impossible, does anyone have some insight on this?

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:25 AM

I've seen boards continue to function with lots of blown, leaking caps...don't ask me how!

I've ALSO seen boards completely fail with just one swollen cap. Currently have one like this on the bench (3 swollen caps)

It all comes down to which caps are affected, IMO.

Maybe if you got ahold of the board diagram and checked which caps are swollen, to see what it handles.

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:25 AM

You haven't said how old your computer is, but I'm wondering about temperatures still.  I see these have been around since 2009.  You might need to re-apply thermal paste between the CPU and its cooling fan.  You could inspect the mobo at the same time.   :thumbsup2:

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:52 PM

swollen capacitors on the motherboard

I suspect that is your problem. Even in the unlikely event it turns out not to be, the days of the mobo are limited anyway. Do any of them have electrolyte oozing out the top or bottoms?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 Uselesslight

Uselesslight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

Not as far as I can tell, but yeah I think you guys may be right about the MOBO.  This computer is an acer aspire 5517, so its pretty old now.  Thanks everyone for the replies!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users