Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Time for a new CPU fan? (constant buzzing noise after several minutes)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:29 PM

This has happened since yesterday morning. I hear this buzzing coming from the CPU fan and it sounds like a hair buzzer or something. At first, the noise would be intermittent, it would go away every couple of minutes and then restart again. Now, since last night, it's been constant. I shut down the computer last night so I wouldn't have to sleep with the noise.

For about 5-10 minutes after turning the computer on, it sounds fine, but then it goes into this noise. I've kept HWMonitor open during the entire time, and I don't see anything that stands out. The temperature of the CPU remains at a constant 28-30°, while the RPM slowly goes up into the 900s. There doesn't seem to be any threshold of when the buzzing noise starts.

I've made sure to clean all of the blades on the fan, and made sure that the wire connecting to the motherboard isn't touching anything, but that hasn't helped. Looking into the case, the fan does seem to move a little bit when it starts buzzing, but I don't know if that's normal or not.

I've had this CPU fan for pretty much exactly a year (built this PC at this time last year), so is the thing just shot already?

Edited by Tim Brastow, 11 June 2014 - 06:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:53 PM

Please run speccy and post the results http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

#3 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:08 PM

Ok, ran Speccy and saved a snapshot. Will this work for you?

Attached Files

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:54 PM

Follow this guide TY.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/#entry1797792

#5 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

Alright, published it here.

Let me know if anything else is needed.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/r34lguPStdtlq2smNvsVJMQ

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:57 PM

your cpu temperature is at an admirable range. but i would m0nitor it closely. do you have an aftermarket cpu cooler?

anway, when you hear that kind of noise, it is indicative of an obstructed/malfunctioning fan . i heard that same sound once on  a gpu fan, and it was getting to the point of inneffectiveness and the gpu would overheat under stress.. it sounded like a fly stuck in a window trying to get out.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#7 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:37 PM

Seriously, when I first heard the sound I thought there was construction going on outside my house or something, so I peaked out the window to see if anything was there. And then putting my ears up to my computer and finding out it was coming through there didn't exactly start my day off well.

So, nothing stands out from that snapshot I assume?

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:25 AM

all the temperatures that i saw is definitely acceptable. there are so many fans in close proximity sometimes that it would be kind of difficult to track down the audible malfunction. if you check out fan blades sometimes you can tell that they are rubbing against something when you see a shiny spot on them in a radial pattern.

#9 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:08 AM

I stuck a card into all of my fans to stop them for a couple of seconds, and the buzzing sound didn't go away when any of the fans were halted. Based on where the sound is coming from, it can't be the PSU or the HDD. What else could be causing this sound? Could something be loose?

My brother should be over tomorrow anyway to look at this but I'd like to see what you think the problem is.

#10 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:12 AM

only a few things could be causing this. the only parts that are in  motion are the hdd and the fans.

my guess is that a fan got dusty and suffered a breached bearing or sleeve.  most likey the gpu stock fan. those are notoriously low grade and not genuinely up to the task of less than ideal environments (dust). there are after market fans that aren't too expensive. i think arctic cooling or something like that....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186052

it is a common adversity. unfiltered air enters the cabinet and wreaks havoc. i tell users all the time, it is best to filter the air before it ever enters the inside of the unit.

#11 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:12 AM

Had my older brother check it out, and we found the problem.

It was a fan, but it was none of the fans I looked at. Instead, it's a very small fan. It is the fan that is installed into the motherboard about 2 minutes into the video (I have a Sabertooth Z77 motherboard).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxixTsBsL4U

What is the size of this fan? Is it only available from ASUS or can I get it from Newegg?

#12 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:39 AM

It's hard to tell from looking at the video.  What I could find online suggests they are 50mm fans (10mm or 15mm deep).  Measure the fan frame from edge to edge in millimetres (as per this guide) and you'll know for certain.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users