Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RutgerLambrecht

RutgerLambrecht

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:40 PM

Hi all,

Two days ago, my laptop (HP, OS Windows 7) would not start anymore.

I tried everything (system recovery, startup repair, ...) but nothing seems to work.
This is what I get when starting:

1) HP logo

2) "The SMART hard disk has detected an imminent failure. To ensure not data loss, please backup the content immediately and run the Hard Disk Test in system Diagnostics

3) Loading files (gray progress bar)

4) "Microsoft Corporation ®" dislpalys, with a progress bar.for a very short time

5) StartupRepair with following details:

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline

Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 61
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 1
Problem Signature 07: BadDisk
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
LocaleID: 1033

Can anyone please tell me what the problem might be and how to fix it?

Many thanks in advance!!

Rutger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:56 PM

Your hard drive has probably failed. You need to replace it.

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:42 PM

As Roodo says you have a failing hard drive as indicated by that message "The SMART hard disk has detected an imminent failure. To ensure not data loss, please backup the content immediately and run the Hard Disk Test in system Diagnostics" and "Problem Signature 07: BadDisk".  I'd take that hard drive out and put it in an external enclosure (2.5" SATA), plug it into another computer's USB port and see if you can save any data you don't want to lose.  Then you'll need a a new hard drive and the means to restore to factory settings.  I hope you made the discs to do that when you could, but if not, contact HP and see if they'll send them to you for a nominal fee.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $60 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users