Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Found NEW lost Ipad, wish to return!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pvtires

pvtires

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:35 PM

The topic title might be a little misleading, but recently my mother and step-father went to Oregon to my step-brothers marriage. On the way back my mom found a very nice, and new Ipad in the back of the persons seat in front of her. She called the air port when she got home because she forgot she put it in her back to give it to lost and found. When she got home and told me I told her I would get into it so I can return it to the previous owner. This Ipad is a business Ipad, it has been constantly showing up with dates, meetings, and other various type stuff. I can very easily reset the Ipad, that is something I really don't want to do because I would lose all the data that is on it at the moment. Which I will need to find out who the person is so I can mail them their Ipad. Can anyone help me in this situation, i'm not sure if I posted in the right place but this is the Mac OS so I thought this would be best place as any! Please reply back soon! Thank you for any help you can give!

Edit: Moved topic from Mac OS to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:44 PM

The topic title might be a little misleading, but recently my mother and step-father went to Oregon to my step-brothers marriage. On the way back my mom found a very nice, and new Ipad in the back of the persons seat in front of her. She called the air port when she got home because she forgot she put it in her back to give it to lost and found. When she got home and told me I told her I would get into it so I can return it to the previous owner. This Ipad is a business Ipad, it has been constantly showing up with dates, meetings, and other various type stuff. I can very easily reset the Ipad, that is something I really don't want to do because I would lose all the data that is on it at the moment. Which I will need to find out who the person is so I can mail them their Ipad. Can anyone help me in this situation, i'm not sure if I posted in the right place but this is the Mac OS so I thought this would be best place as any! Please reply back soon! Thank you for any help you can give!

Does the iPad have a lock code set on it (i.e. does it ask for a code/password when you turn it on)?

If it does, then there is not much you will be able to do that I can think of unless the person realizes it is missing and engages the "lost mode" with message indicating how to contact them. The only other way is if the alerts and other information that appears on the lock screen (such as maybe they have a company logo as the lock screen image) somehow gives you enough information to potentially contact them.

If it does not have a lock code, you could in theory find out one (or more) of the email addresses setup in the iPad's settings and then send an email to that/those email addresses. Of course, there is the ethical question of essentially "snooping" around the stuff in the iPad…but I would say if you only go into the Settings app to find the email address, then that should be ethically OK.

#3 pvtires

pvtires
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

It does in fact have a pass code on it which is what I have been searching for an answer to. I have been looking at the music and by the music choices the owner is a female. That is all I can say. There haven't been any logo's appearing and the reminders and very vague. Only ones that the owner would know of.  Thank you for the reply, i'm going to keep looking for a way.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

Was it found on the airplane?  If so, I'd suggest contacting the airline.  Inform them of the iPAD found and the seat number your mother was sitting in, flight number, etc.  The airline can then narrow down the possible owners to a very small list.  Perhaps the iPAD can be taken to an office of the airline in question so they can send it back to the owner.

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 pvtires

pvtires
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:00 PM

My mother has already contacted all the air lines that her and my step-father had flew on in the past couple days. They said that there was nobody who reported a lost Ipad. We are on the phone with Apple right now and the Ipad isn't registered to anyone so that leads us to not much we can do. My mother also gave them her name and phone number where she can be contacted in case someone does report it.

#6 DarkSinisterKid

DarkSinisterKid

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:32 PM

There are a few ways to bypass a passcode... though I don't think breaking in an iPad would be the best idea.

-[ Dark§inisterKid ]-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users