Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard with Nvidia 6150e on CPU?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

Hello,

I have an AsRock motherboard, N61P-S which has on board graphics in the 6150e nForce 430. The case is a Mini Atx and I have an empty PCIE slot. I am not up on video cards that much, I don't do gaming, mostly videos and movies. Here are my questions.

The current video card says "Core 425mhz/memory 800mhz/Size 256mb.

If I were to install a PCIE half-height video card, could I expect better performance? Is that what video cards do? Any suggestions for what cards may be a good choice?

I wrote out the specs of the machine here:

AsRock N61P-S

2GB DDR Ram (in the process of getting 2GB more)

AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+ Brisbane Dual Core

Power supply is 275watt, so that may cause limitations in a video card choice?

Hope someone can give me an idea if this is worth doing, or should I be looking at upgrading the CPU instead? Do all the AMD chips have graphics chips in them?

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the input!

Edited by Missing Link, 11 June 2014 - 03:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:48 PM

The power supply will be a limiting factor on a video card upgrade.

What performance are you looking to improve?

What OS are you running?

If it is general performance a RAM upgrade would probably be a lot better for you.  According to Crucial your motherboard will take up to 8GB.  Going to 4GB would improve performance for an operating system (OS) going to 8GB would be good for Windows 7 64-bit.  Any RAM upgrade will probably involve removing all of the currently installed RAM as that board only has two slots and my guess is they both have a 1GB memory module in them.

#3 Missing Link

Missing Link
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:46 PM

Good Evening Kilroy.

Thanks for your response. The machine is running Windows Vista Home 32bit.

As far as performance is concerned, I am referring to the Windows Experience Index which reads 2.8. I did not plan on going to Windows 7 as of yet because of cost. So Running vista as it is in 32bit with 2GB DD

The ram is a definite upgrade, to at least 4GB DDRII. And is it true that only versions of 64bit windows can make use of 8GB of ram?

Would a 64bit version of Vista actually perform better on this board?

Thanks for now, I await your response.

ML

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users