Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC makes grinding noise through headphones and freezes with black screen.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Delphinus

Delphinus

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

My roomate's computer has been having a problem where the screen goes black (no signal) there is a grinding/distorted noise coming over the headphones, and the PC is frozen, needing to be turned off by holding the power button and restarting. Not sure if it's related, but sometimes the display driver crashes as indicated by a pop up bubble from the taskbar that says the display driver has crashed and must be recovered. The problem seems to occur randomly, and can happen whether playing a game like World of Warcraft, or even watching a video on youtube for example.

I'm really at my wits end as to what could still be causing this issue. I don't remember the full specs of the original deskop config where this problem started happening, but I have upgraded the PC, replacing the motherboard, memory, CPU, and graphics card, I've even tried swapping out the power supply with the one from my PC which I know works fine and is far beyond the wattage required by her PC (750 watt), and changing hard drives. Hardware of the PC listed below.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K
Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 FM2+
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
PSU: CORSAIR HX Series HX750
Graphics Card:EVGA 01G-P4-3650-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:37 PM

You've upgraded almost everything, but have you tested everything to see if they are good components?

Is the system getting hot? Warm to the touch? Any burning smell or hot smell during normal operation? How about when it's under load (Game/video)?

I'd start by downloading Memtest, burning to disc, and running it to test your RAM.

Then run chkdsk /r to scan your hard drive.

Then download and run 3DMark to test your graphics card.

You can also download Prime95 to test your CPU and overall system performance.

#3 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:42 AM

I assume you upgraded the video drivers to the latest version?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users