Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 for desktop PC using mouse & keyboard

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

I am planning on building a PC for my own use in the near future. It will probably be a few weeks before I start ordering the pieces and I will be purchasing an OS as well- either Win7 or Win8. 

To anyone running Windows 8.1 on a desktop sans touch-screen, how is it? Is everything as straight forward as Windows 7 or XP ? if you had a choice between Win 7 or Win 8 would you stick with Win 8?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:39 PM

At this point I'd go with 8 if I had no need for the features removed from 7 (desktop games, XP mode, gadgets).  I have no use for the Modern/Metro mode junk, but if you install the free app, Classic Shell (from classicshell.net), you can give 8 the look and feel of 7 with the classic Start button and menu with everything where you're used to it.  I keep installing the big updates to Windows 8 in hopes MS will start listening to its customers and add the Start menu back, but so far they've only just given little bits and pieces around the edge.  At least the Classic Shell folks are there to come to our rescue!  There's a similar app called Start8 that goes for $5 if you'd prefer; it has a 30 day free trial.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

I run 8.1 Pro on my desktop and rarely go into the Modern UI start screen because I spent the five bucks for Start8.  Windows 8 runs just fine with keyboard and mouse and with Classic Shell or Start8 you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference from Windows 7 (except for the absence of Aero, that's pretty obvious). 

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

If you are willing to learn a few new ways of doing things, I'd say to go with Windows 8.  When I first started using Windows 8.1 six months ago I made up my mind not to use a 3rd party start menu and I've never installed one.  I did my research upfront and that made it easy to get used to Windows 8.1.  Honestly, I don't understand all the bad rake about Windows 8 because it's almost like Windows 7 once you get to the desktop.  For that matter, Windows 8.1 will boot to the desktop by default with the latest updates.

For me, the main thing was to learn how to find everything and navigate around.  I hardly ever use the new Start Screen or Charms.  I mostly use File Explorer and the Power User's Menu.  The latter looks like this...

q2cWqnc.jpg

#5 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for replies- I was mostly set on going with Windows 8.1 for a couple of reasons - newer means it will be supported longer, and it is meant to be run from a SSD, which is how I am going to do it. So, I just want to make sure that running in normal desktop fashion isn't a heinous experience.

A question about Classic Shell, for those who run with it- does it consume a lot of system resources (processor or ram), or would you say it is a "light-weight" program and you won't notice any slow down in other programs on account of it running?

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:17 PM

I use Classic Shell on 6 PCs.  6 have 2 GB of RAM and 1 has 3 GB.  They all run fine.  The download file is only 6 meg.  The only reason not to run it is strictly your philosophy.  Agouti's point is a valid one, but I wouldn't recommend it for the average Joe.  I'll tell you it drives older folks up the wall.  If you're pretty technical and willing to spend time reinventing the wheel, you can certainly do without one of these add-ons.  However Classic Shell is free and you can uninstall it any time.  I've never seen but one person want to uninstall it, and this guy was very technically oriented.  Personally I just dislike the idea of having my computer work like a smart phone and MS trying to make us all reinvent the wheel.  YMMV.   :)

Edited by wpgwpg, 12 June 2014 - 06:21 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#7 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:19 PM

Ok, thanks. That puts the last nail in it, I will be going with Win 8.1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users