Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD PageFault in Nonpaged Area

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:49 PM

at least I'm pretty sure that's what the blue screen said, I did a google search for what I remembered from the blue screen, and " PageFault in Nonpaged Area" seems like what I read on the BSOD.

I d/l'd a program called "WhoCrashed" and it found dumps from 2 recent crashes, both related to the win32k.sys module - one is termed a "custom" error and the other an unhandled exception. WhoCrashed suggests I likely have a driver issue.

My computer has mysteriously crashed 3 times in the past 2 or 3 weeks. This isn't a great inconvenience, but I'd just as soon fix it anyhow - as long as it's relatively painless. Aside from what I mentioned above, the only clue I have is that I was browsing the internet each time that it crashed.

Can anyone help me fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,626 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:28 PM

Download BlueScreenView:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.

when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All

Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

==================================================
Dump File         : Mini061114-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 6/11/2014 2:18:09 PM
Bug Check String  : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug Check Code    : 0x10000050
Parameter 1       : 0xe2b9201c
Parameter 2       : 0x00000000
Parameter 3       : 0xbf84ca7c
Parameter 4       : 0x00000001
Caused By Driver  : win32k.sys
Caused By Address : win32k.sys+4ca7c
File Description  : Multi-User Win32 Driver
Product Name      : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company           : Microsoft Corporation
File Version      : 5.1.2600.6514 (xpsp_sp3_qfe.140207-0419)
Processor         : 32-bit
Crash Address     : win32k.sys+4ca7c
Stack Address 1   : win32k.sys+4de60
Stack Address 2   : win32k.sys+156e60
Stack Address 3   : win32k.sys+14da19
Computer Name     : 
Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini061114-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 1
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 2600
Dump File Size    : 98,304
Dump File Time    : 6/11/2014 2:18:25 PM

Dump File         : Mini060614-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 6/6/2014 3:14:02 PM
Bug Check String  : KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code    : 0x1000008e
Parameter 1       : 0xc0000005
Parameter 2       : 0xbf8137b9
Parameter 3       : 0xaf87c9cc
Parameter 4       : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver  : win32k.sys
Caused By Address : win32k.sys+137b9
File Description  : Multi-User Win32 Driver
Product Name      : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company           : Microsoft Corporation
File Version      : 5.1.2600.6514 (xpsp_sp3_qfe.140207-0419)
Processor         : 32-bit
Crash Address     : win32k.sys+137b9
Stack Address 1   : win32k.sys+d267b
Stack Address 2   : win32k.sys+d2527
Stack Address 3   : ntoskrnl.exe+66854
Computer Name     : 
Full Path         : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini060614-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 1
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 2600
Dump File Size    : 98,304
Dump File Time    : 6/6/2014 3:14:02 PM

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,626 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:57 AM

It appears you've had only 2 bsod's (both different, by the way). Let's give it a little time and see it it continues to happen - one or two bsod's are not anything to be overly concerned with, but if it continues to happen we'll need to address it. Meanwhile, below are a couple of questions and 3 basic troubleshooting steps:

Questions:

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) Please open device manager - are there any yellow or red symbols?

Troubleshooting Steps:

1) Please run full system scans with BOTH your installed AV and with MalwareBytes

2) Let's check the ram:

download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

3) Let's check the hd:
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28744&hl=hard+drive+diagnostic)
Make sure you select the tool which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), to make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

Last, to prepare for any future issues please make sure you use disc imaging software on a regular basis. That way you will always have a current image of your drive to which you can return (or place on a new hd if needed) in the event of a major computer disaster.

#5 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:22 AM

Here's what I did, I installed memtest to a 3.5" floppy and rebooted. The memtest program ran and found no errors. I disconnected my USB floppy drive, rebooted and went into CMOS and re-configured to boot without the USB floppy drive (how it was prior to mem-testing.

My computer no longer boots. I get the error missing operating system. Disk boot failure,insert system disk and press enter. Iam posting using my smart phone.

If I plug the floppy drive back in, I can boot to memtest and memtest all I want. Regardless of how I set my CMOS, I can't seem to boot off my HD with win xp

If I put my XP install CD in the DVD drive, I can get to windows setup. From that, I was able to get to the recovery console and use the fixboot command on my HD. The command executed properly, but made no difference.

I would appreciate any help in: getting my computer to boot win XP again without reinstalling;
understanding why this boot issue happened in the first place; and resolving my original issue (although I can't do much about that right now)

#6 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:58 PM

I was able to use a utility on the Ultimate Boot CD, to boot into windows on my PC. I have not attempted a re-boot, because I do not know what will happen.

From briefly perusing the memtest forum, I believe that the version of memtest I used involved GRUB in some way (it runs in Syslinux). If I have a GRUB bootloader on my C drive, I would like to know how to get rid of it- and is there any way to check if it is there? As things are I am a little afraid to reboot my computer.

I am done doing hardware tests, there is nothing wrong with my hardware. I am reasonably certain my original problem stems from an issue with a driver or system file, I just can't tell exactly what the problem is or how to fix it short of a repair install.

I had hoped this whole thing would be pain free, but apparently that wasn't meant to be. 

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,626 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:07 PM

Were you able to run the test on your hard drive?

#8 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

no and don't plan to, hard drive is only a few months old. I also scan with MBAM fairly often (every 1 to 2 weeks) and have Avast running on my PC, which scans weekly.

I attempted a system restore, even though I don't think it touches the boot sector. I found that my system now has a new boot manager, complete with EGA graphics, courtesy of the Ultimate Boot CD. It shouldn't be necessary, but apparently it is.

#9 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:17 PM

will a backup program like Macrium Reflect include the bootsector in it's backup?

I have a recovery console cd and I am contemplating using FixMBR on my boot drive, but I need to have a plan in case the worst happens and the boot sector gets even more messed up than it currently is.

As of right now it is booting though, and I might just leave well enough alone.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,626 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:37 AM

Yes, the MBR is copied with the system partition.

#11 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:52 PM

As a follow up to this- I un-installed my sound driver and installed a different one. To make a somewhat long story, shorter - I should have consulted my motherboard manual prior to installing a sound driver (rather than simply installing the first one I saw when doing a web search for "AC97"). It has only been a few days, but I am optimistic that this particular problem has been fixed.

In spite of my computer crashing at least a half dozen times, there are only 2 mini-dumps. Is this normal?

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,626 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:43 AM

When I asked if there was anything new or different in the 4th post of this thread it would have been helpful if you'd mentioned that you installed one or more drivers. But okay, as long as you're up and running that's fine.

#13 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:43 PM

At the time I originally posted, I didn't know about the varying chipsets for AC97 audio. Not long before this started happening, I had to do a complete re-install of Win XP, so I would not have been able to be specific regarding which drivers I installed. 

Attempting to install Linux Mint onto a partition that had Debian installed, somehow messed up my boot sector to the extent that my HD was treated as "read only" by windows on another computer, but there was no way to read any data off of it. I was unable to boot any OS off of it either. 

I resolved to quit using Linux entirely, and after running memtest86+, was quite horrified to find that Grub had found it's way onto my boot drive again to ruin my day. Frankly, it beats the hell out of me why utilities are written in Linux for use in windows, if it requires writing to the boot sector to make it work. If I had even imagined it might do that, I would have never even d/l'd it, much less ran it. 

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,626 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:39 AM

Okay, well - as I said - glad you got it all sorted out :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users