Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is hosting a web page easy? Is it free?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PA292

PA292

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:02 PM

I've just compiled a simple document in BlueGriffon (HTML editor) that consists of text and images. After I make such a document, I view it in a browser and then save it as a Webpage, Complete (W/C, for short) or HTML Complete (depends on the browser) file and what this does it it automatially takes all the images and puts them into one folder and I guess adjusts that web page code. W/C files are a save option for all the browsers I've ever seen and they produce an HTML file along with a corresponding folder that ends in _files. And interestingly, if you delete the HTML file, Windows will arbitrarily delete the corresponding _files folder along with it. Anyway, so these W/C files are good ways to store and share information, except not everyone is comfortable downloading a ZIP file that contains the HTML file plus its corresponding folder and unzipping it. So I was thinking, maybe I should just start hosting these things instead of just providing them as raw downloads.....

Edited by PA292, 11 June 2014 - 02:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

To host your own web page, you will need a domain (your own "www.myownwebpage.com"). Domain comes in a subscription type of service where you need to pay either montly, quarterly or annually. To give you an idea, a domain cost's around $500 a year (can be higher or lower depending on which provider you subscribe to). Basic web hosting tools normally comes free but you can use your own tools.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:21 PM

I don't recommend hosting yourself.  The main reason is that you are putting a machine directly on the Internet with at least one open port.  Depending on your situation you can pay someone else to host your site.

When I has a site I used 1&1Squarespace is another.

A better idea might be to turn it into a PDF.  CutePDF is a free program that allows you to create PDFs as easily as printing.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,282 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:31 PM

I have to disagree on the costs of registering a domain.  Register.com charges $79 for three years.  This is just and example.  Registering a domain name is not hosting it.  The hosting companies I posted previously include the domain with the hosting fees.

Some advice, DO NOT go to a registrar to register a domain until you have it picked out and you know it is available.  Trying to go to a domain in your web browser will generally let you know if it is available.  If you get a page cannot be displayed error the domain may be available.  Some of the registrars will register any searches you do and lock the domain, forcing you to go through them.  When I got the quote from Register.com I just mashed on the keyboard.

#5 PA292

PA292
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:36 PM

These two posts seem to answer my question:

http://lifehacker.com/5530961/the-simplest-and-cheapest-free-web-hosting-services

http://lifehacker.com/5528104/use-dropbox-to-share-and-host-your-web-site

One question. Is dropbox hosting from my machine or is it like a file host?

Some advice, DO NOT go to a registrar to register a domain until you have it picked out and you know it is available.  Trying to go to a domain in your web browser will generally let you know if it is available.  If you get a page cannot be displayed error the domain may be available.  Some of the registrars will register any searches you do and lock the domain, forcing you to go through them.  When I got the quote from Register.com I just mashed on the keyboard.

I actually suspected this, heh.

Edited by PA292, 11 June 2014 - 02:37 PM.

#6 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:40 PM

I have to disagree on the costs of registering a domain.  Register.com charges $79 for three years.  This is just and example.  Registering a domain name is not hosting it.  The hosting companies I posted previously include the domain with the hosting fees.

You are right. I mixed it up. :) I am talking about both. I was paying around $400/year (Netfirms) on the website I am running 2 years ago.

To the poster, if the FREE web hosting site will work for you, that's good then.

But the advertisements are crazy and is very limited.

Cheers!

Edited by badr0b0t, 11 June 2014 - 02:42 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#7 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:16 PM

Yeah guys i pay around us$50 pa to have my domain name, but that has dns services as well, so i can host the site/s myself.

Freehostia is well worth a look for free website hosting, i believe you can have 5 domains in a free account.

http://www.freehostia.com/index2.html

Regards,
Phil
Linux user     |     #564977

#8 sariki

sariki

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:20 PM

I use Arvixe I havn't had any problem with them and they are cheap as dirt. But that is up to you. Some places you can pay 9.99 for domain registar and then have it free for life depending on the host you go with. 

Posting Goal: 25 50 100

#9 forum junkie

forum junkie

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:02 PM

000 Web Host is a free one that doesn't make you put ads on your site (not saying I recommend it.)

You didn't really ask, but new TLD's are coming out all the time now (top level domain name extensions). It's getting easier and easier to choose one that reflects your niche. For example, there is .cab , .developer , .clothing ,etc. 

#10 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:16 PM

Where are you guys purchasing your domains?? The forum where I'm an admin pays a yearly fee of $9.49 US to register a domain name.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#11 ElvisDufour

ElvisDufour

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:06 AM

Where are you guys purchasing your domains?? The forum where I'm an admin pays a yearly fee of $9.49 US to register a domain name.

We have the opportunity to purchase millions of desirable domain names. First step is to register your domain name through a domain name registrar and pay an annual registration fee to keep your site going live. This will give you the right of ownership of that domain name for a year.

#12 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:14 AM

To host your own web page, you will need a domain (your own "www.myownwebpage.com"). Domain comes in a subscription type of service where you need to pay either montly, quarterly or annually. To give you an idea, a domain cost's around $500 a year (can be higher or lower depending on which provider you subscribe to). Basic web hosting tools normally comes free but you can use your own tools.

I was referring to these two posts - both seemed to be rather expensive to me, considering I can register domains at Nearly Free Speech for $9.49 per year, and pay for hosting on a simple "bandwidth used" basis.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 13 November 2014 - 08:15 AM.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users