Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MRT.exe

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pcw29

pcw29

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

hello,after booting up my pc this morning i was surprised to find windows update on my xp pc.june 2014 version of microsoft;s  MRT.exe.now i've used this tool for years always works well my question is how many times can you use this tool?once,twice 3 times just wondering thank you for your time 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

I've seen reports that MS will provide updates for MSE on XP for another year if you already have it installed.  Maybe that includes MRT as well?  I've still got a multi-boot system and two Windows 7 Pro systems that can run XP, but I'm very leery of doing it since MS has pulled the plug on Windows Updates for it 4/8.  I'm seeing an increasing no. of malware reports from folks with XP, so I'd sure recommend upgrading to Windows 7 or 8 or one of the free Linux versions.  Ubuntu and Mint have similar user interfaces to Windows and are easy to download & use.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 11 June 2014 - 01:37 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:40 PM

The Malicious Software Removal Tool updates still continue.

The tool can be downloaded by anyone, anytime:  http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/malware-removal.aspx , which indicates that the current version can be used at least until the next version comes out...as many times as necessary (IMO).

Louis

#4 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

Yes you can use the MRT as many tines as you need (always use the latest monthly version as Hamluis says). The MRT will be updated for XP subsystems for about another year. However, it is not full malware protection - it only deals with a selection of high profile malware.

It is NOT a substitute for real-time protection, or a mitigation for the lack of XP operating system updates.

x64

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:10 PM

MPC Threat Research & Response Blog: Microsoft Extends Antimalware Support for Windows XP

Microsoft has announced the Windows XP end of support date of April 8, 2014. After this date, Windows XP will no longer be a supported operating system. To help organizations complete their migrations, Microsoft will continue to provide updates to our antimalware signatures and engine for Windows XP users through July 14, 2015. This does not affect the end-of-support date of Windows XP, or the supportability of Windows XP for other Microsoft products, which deliver and apply those signatures.

Microsoft retains weapon to silently scrub XP

Microsoft will be able to silently reach into Windows XP PCs for more than a year after it stops patching the aged OS to clean malware-infected machines, sources close to the company confirmed Friday.

The Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT) will continue to be updated and deployed via Windows Update through July 14, 2015, 15 months after the Redmond, Wash. company serves its final public security patches for XP on April 8 of this year.

By extending the life of the MSRT -- and more importantly, automatically running it each month -- Microsoft will be able to clean some PCs if massive malware outbreaks hit Windows XP after it's retired from support....With MSRT, Microsoft will have a weapon at the ready in case widespread malware infections strike XP machines after April 8, something the company has said is likely.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

As hamluis indicated, MSRT can be run as often as you want to use it...but always use the most current version as it has updated database definitions for the specific malware it checks for.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users