Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Updates? 6/11/14

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ZeldaB

ZeldaB

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

I see the yellow shield icon with the exclamation point has popped up in my tray today saying I have 3 updates from MicroSoft for my Windows XP. The last time this happened, I was suspicious, came to this website to see if there was any information, and found a blog written by Lawrence that verified that yes, MicroSoft had actually released a post-support update.

Today I see nothing indicating that MicroSoft has done it again.

The last time it happened, I found nothing on the MicroSoft website noting the emergency, post-support update, nor any news items online about it.

Has anyone heard anything about a new set of XP updates released today?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:54 AM

Windows XP is not longer supported by Microsoft. There are a few updates that they have put out to fix vulnerabilities in other software, like internet explorer, that would stil lbe downloadable and part of the updates list in XP. However XP is past it's end of life, this time for good.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:18 PM

One of those is the monthly malicious software removal tool...the other two are (IMO) just updates that were not previously installed though issued, if in fact you are referring to critical, not optional, updates.

Louis

#4 Fardooste

Fardooste

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

There are also additional updates for xp pos systems. However, the registry hack enabling this is not recommended by microsoft. 

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

There are also additional updates for xp pos systems. However, the registry hack enabling this is not recommended by microsoft. 

Since the updates you mentioned are NOT available for home users of XP...I don't see the relevance of the comment.

Louis

#6 NancZ

NancZ

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:42 AM

I just received it as well. Mine says Windows has found 5 updates.

Wing - if you click on Custom option you'll get a NEXT button.

If you click on that, you can see what they are.

Mine are the Malicious Software Tool as mentioned above and the other 4 are for my MS Office 2010. So my MS Office product comes in looking like it's for Windows. 

Try that and see exactly what they are.

Like me, they may not be for the OS.

And therefore, perfectly safe. 

I was shocked at first as well cause it does make it look like it's for WIndows

First of course, the question is do you have other MS products beside XP, such as Office. 

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

FWIW:  As long as it has existed...the Microsoft Update site provides the security updates for Windows AND any installed MS programs, such as Office.

Louis

#8 NancZ

NancZ

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:12 PM

I guess that info would have been good at the beginning maybe instead of guessing it's uninstalled ones.

Hope what I shared with you Wing helps you.

#9 Fardooste

Fardooste

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

Since the updates you mentioned are NOT available for home users of XP...I don't see the relevance of the comment.

Louis

They are relevant  if you do the registry hack widely reported in the press. 

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

Suggesting such is against the forum rules.  Since it is obvious that such a suggested hack...is an obvious effort to deceive MS regarding the nature of the O/S..I believe that'as a violation of the EULA and, therefore, against BC Forum Rules.  Pure and simple.

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

You also might want to read This .

This topic is about the updates downloaded on 14 Jun 2014...it's not about circumventing user agreements with MS.

Louis

#11 Fardooste

Fardooste

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:01 AM

I stand corrected then.

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:09 PM

Back on topic ......

Included with June 11 XP updates -

Office 2007 Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2881069) - June 11, 2014 Automatic Updates

I still run an XP to follow all current changes.

You may need Office 2007 {or later} installed to get this.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:38 PM

Office updates...are not XP updates, by definition.

Louis

#14 xp update?

xp update?

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:30 PM

all is well. what caused my issue was not the out of the blue xp malious software removal tool that i installed. what is was - i had scanned my system afterwards with malwarebytes, it found a number of things and got rid of them. etc etc. PC now all fixed by my PC man and all well. thanks

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for letting us know, glad you resolved it :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users