Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

8.1 shutdown problem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 coaler

coaler

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:13 AM

I have a H P Pavillion all in one, just upgraded to 8.1. Since then when I shut down the on and off button on the left side of the computer stays on. I have to manually hold the button down til the light goes off. Is there a fix for this? I would appreciate any input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:25 AM

Try this...not sure if it will work...but worth a try none the less. First, power down as you can, then once powered off, unplug power cord to PSU, Then push and hold the power button for 15 seconds to fully discharge the system. Let the PC set for 5 minutes then plug in the power cord to PSU and and power up system...let the system fully boot and run idle for 5 minutes then try powering down normally.

If that doesn't work...then power down system and uplug power cord from PSU and push and hold start button for 15 seconds to fully discharge the system. Now, remove the comos battery for 5 minutes and then re-install CMOS battery, then plug in power chord to PSU and power up system and let the system fully boot and let set idle for 5 minutes then power down and power up and see how it acts.

If that doesn't work it could be the switch itself that is going bad and needs to be replaced.

#3 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

You can choose what happens when you press the power button on your computer case (or the edge of your laptop). The computer can shut down, sleep, hibernate, or do nothing.  Check your settings. 

Control Panel>>> Power Options

Attached File  windows8poweroptions.jpg   89.88KB   0 downloads

Edited by badr0b0t, 11 June 2014 - 11:39 AM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

What is the model of this all in one?

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:46 PM

I've never had that issue myself, and I got my Windows 8 computer 2013_12_31, and upgraded to Windows 8.1 30 days later, and now currently on Windows 8.1U.  But, do checkout what badr0b0t said.  Shutting down the computer with the power button, without going through this isn't recommended (this is one of several ways):

1.  Ctrl-Alt-Del.
2.  Click the power icon, lower right side.
3.  Select Shutdown.

Check this out:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/windows-8-will-not-shut-down-without-holding-down/779318a6-1e72-4092-bd8c-802d94e1b270

Create a desktop shortcut like this:

1.  Get to the desktop.
2.  Right click on it.
3.  Click "New"
4.  Click "Shortcut"
5.  Enter the command (no quotes): "shutdown.exe /t 5 /f /s"
5.1.  The "t 5" = Wait 5 seconds, then shutdown.  You can use from 0-315360000 (10 years), with a default of 30.
5.2.  The "/f" = Force running applications to close without forewarning users.
5.3.  "/s" = full shutdown.
5.4.  To see all possible parameters, open a command window, and enter (no quotes): "shutdown /?"
6.  Click "Next"
7.  Click "Finish"

Depending on your firewall settings, you might get a warning Remote shutdown, that's OK, it's because of this command.

Best of luck.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

One of the problems with a hard shutdown is that you can damage files.

I would suggest running fsc /scannow once you have this problem resolved and you don't need to do a hard shutdown.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To run sfc /scannow in Windows 8 you will need to open the Elevated Command Prompt.  The easiest way to do this is to press the Windows key and the X key at the same time.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

elevatedcommandpromptw7_zpseba8c499.png

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens type in sfc /scannow (please note the space between sfc and /scannow), then press Enter.

If the scan finds no integrity  problems in the first portion of the scan it should stop, to be sure that the scan has stopped wait five minutes, then type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

If it does find integrity problems the scan will continue.  This will take a while, please have patience and allow it finish.  

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

To find sfc /scannow log, type cmd in the Search programs and files box, 

cmd will appear above the search box under Apps., right click on it and choose Run as administrator, this will open the Elevated Command Prompt.  This will look simlare to the image below.

elevatedcommandpromptw7_zpseba8c499.png

copy and paste the following, then press Enter.  

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Click on this to open the log, copy it and paste it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:07 PM

An elevated command prompt opens to C:\Windows\System32 and not C:\Users\(user name)

Elevated-Command-Prompt-in-Windows-8.jpg

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

If you go back and reread my post, I stated that the image will look similar to the one below.

Edited by dc3, 11 June 2014 - 02:17 PM.

#9 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:24 PM

If you go back and reread my post, I stated that the image will look similar to the one below.

Just making it clear because for someone who is not familiar with it, it's never similar and will never give the same result. Don't get me wrong, just trying to help.

Cheers!

Edited by badr0b0t, 11 June 2014 - 02:24 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:37 PM

I understand the difference, this is why the instructions are to run the cmd as an administrator.  You are splitting hairs because the image used doesn't specifically show the elevated command prompt.  My intentions were to provide the use of these instructions to see an image that they would recognize and know that they are on the correct path.

Can we get back to the topic, this is a distraction that serves no purpose.

#11 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:46 PM

Ok. Sorry. But you are not addressing the main issue. The problem is the power button not working as they are supposed to and not hard drive errors.

Just helping out to clear out things. It is not my intention to burst your bubble.

Sorry.

Peace!  :)

Edited by badr0b0t, 11 June 2014 - 05:49 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#12 coaler

coaler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

I went to the search box and typed troubleshooting under system and security . /clicked improve power usage..and the scan came up with

" Screen saver enabled--not fixed".

I went into the screen saver. selected none and apply. 

I once had a screen saver when I  had w 8..Am wondering now that when I upgraded to 8.1 if the screen saver was trying to "come along" but froze something. I am hoping that when I go to shut it off again everything works. (almost afraid to try).

Would this make sense to you?

I appreciate all of your answers. copied them. 

Its a HP pavillion all in one, laptop model 20-b010 64 bit 

#13 coaler

coaler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:16 AM

Just to let you know it was the screen saver hang up that kept the  computer from shutting off. Sometimes its the simple things that drive you crazy. Thanks again for all your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users