Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Driver Problems With Modem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 littlewolf38

littlewolf38

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 10:48 PM

hi i have been having trouble with my vxd files after doing a clean install of windows 98se.
the trouble is when i go to device manager and look under different devices to see if i need to update my drivers i look and see the vxd files for my modem keyboard etc and i see provider/ file version/ copy right are not available. ive tried using the (sfc) system file checker to extract the cab files that i need but it doesnt help. is there any advice someone might give me to help me out please?

thanks for the time and patience.
billy poe

Edited by littlewolf38, 26 May 2006 - 10:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 11:56 PM

Have you tried deleting\removing the drivers and modem then reinstalling them? It coud be corrupted files.
What is your modem?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 littlewolf38

littlewolf38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2006 - 12:34 AM

yes i have tried removing the drivers and modem, the modem is a 14.4 data fax voice internal modem.even tried removing both of the comm ports and printer port. and the problem is the vxd driver files.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 02:15 AM

Ouch! 14.4Kbps. Man that is old stuff. I like it. Run Everest 1.51 with the modem in the computer. It will tell you the model and hopefully the website of the maker. We need to figure out which modem you have before we can go further. If it a Windows .vxd we ca reinstll that one or two files.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2006 - 06:22 AM

Simple Solution:

Trash can that modem. It's too old and too slow to be of any use.
Many ISP's today will not even connect at that speed or require at least a V90 modem. Mine Won't!

With new V92 internal modems selling in the $10 range, hanging on to an old modem that's no longer up to the job is foolish at best.

Some new modems will install through windows and some need to have you run the install program from the Driver CD. In either case, installation should go smoothly.

Good Luck,
The Shadow
For those wanting, or needing the Norton Removal Tool,
it's latest version is available Here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

"The only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to make" Annonymous

#6 littlewolf38

littlewolf38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2006 - 12:49 PM

is there any smaller program than everrest to get the name of the modem?
you i have a floppy drive and my aunts cdr does'nt burn iso files.
so i would need something smaller than 1.44 mb.
the computer i have was giving to me from my cousin and it an old
compaq presario 7170 with the origjnal modem still installed.
and im not sure if the motherboard is cabable of handling a higher modem.

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 03:17 PM

Finding information on ancient modems is one of the most vexing pursuits one could indulge in. I have a pile of 56k modems that I cannot find drivers for. There are thousands upon thousands of different modems combining chips from a great number of companies.

The FCC required the manufacturers to put identification information on the modems, but that was probably long after your modem was made. Really, it's a good idea to junk the modem, get a new one, and you will have the drivers on the disk that comes with it. If your time is not important to you, go to Windrivers.com and search. Tip: shut down your machine. Open the case. Touch the metal frame to remove static electricity from your body. Unplug the computer from its power source. Remove the modem. Find all the identifying information you can on the modem, including any brand name and number that looks useful, and whatever info is on the main chipset. Write it all down, and then put the modem back into the PC.

Now you have something to work with. But the odds are not good that you will have much luck with it, unless you can find an original driver disk or the modem is a Standard Modem rather than a Winmodem.

#8 littlewolf38

littlewolf38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2006 - 09:07 PM

if finally found the manufactorers name is logicode

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users