Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ZAP!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Think3D

Think3D

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

Hi all,

This is my first post, other than the introduction forum. I have an internet question and apologize if this isn't the right forum to post it.

I'm on my second dsl modem (AT&T 7550) and it has apparently been hit by lightning again. I have the modem's power supply plugged into a surge protector but an AT&T rep told my wife there was no way to protect the phone line..Is this so?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

i have seen surge/powers supplies where they have a jack for the phone line, but if your modem keeps getting fried and thats how the phone line works then i believe you are out of luck. But i could be wrong.

Edited by kaz20, 11 June 2014 - 10:52 AM.

#3 Think3D

Think3D
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:25 AM

Thanks, Yes, I've used those jacks for years for landline phones but the ATT rep said the internet wouldn't work if plugged the modem into those jacks. Surely there has to be something.

Edited by Think3D, 11 June 2014 - 11:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users