Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop won't boot from live USB to install zorin OS 6.4

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 karenw993

karenw993

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

I am trying to install zorin OS 6.4 on an old xp laptop. I created a live USB and plugged it into the lapto, powered it on and pressed f12 to go to bios boot menu, I selected the USB but all I got was a black screen and a blinking cursor.

Can someone give me any advice in case I am doing something wrong.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

I don't know how you created the bootable iso but I have had good luck using Rufus. When you run  it, select iso image in the dropdown box and click the small folder to browse to your iso.

And by the way, Welcome to BC

rufus_en.png

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 June 2014 - 09:53 AM.

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:00 AM

If you can't get it to work with a flash drive, I'd try putting it on a DVD.  I've got one old PC that won't boot from flash drives, but it will boot from DVDs.  

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 karenw993

karenw993
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

Thanks John. I downloaded zorin 6 on a different computer, then burnt it onto a USB and then connected the USB to thexp laptop and selected USB boot and nothing happened.

So to use Rufus can I just download that on another computer and zorin. Then connect the USBand run Rufus on the other computer - and will all the files extract to the USB and then go to the xp laptop and boot the USB. To be clear, what I mean is, do I need to put Rufus on the USB or is it OK on the computer. The xp laptop is not setup with internet now that's why I haven't downloaded the is from there.

The xp laptop is very basic, only 7.5gb HDD and there is no CD/DVD drive. I am using an 8 GB USB.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

Right,

You download and run Rufus on another computer. No need to put it on the USB.  When you select the iso file, it will add the bootable files to the USB along with Zorin. Attach the USB to the XP computer and boot up. It should start the Zorin install.

#6 karenw993

karenw993
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:36 AM

Thanks I'll do that. I am re-downloading zorin in case there was a problem with the file so I'll try it later. Hope it works.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:38 AM

Okay, If Rufus does not work for you there is another program that works well creating bootable USB's with iso files.

#8 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

I wish you luck with the flash drive effort.  I saw your comment that you don't have a CD/DVD drive and that you only have an 8 GB hard drive (wow!), so this computer has to be pretty vintage.  I would just like to reiterate that some older computers will not boot from flash drives.  I hope that's not the case for you, but I can't help but wonder if it isn't.  If that's the case, you could always spend $25 for an external CD/DVD drive and try booting from a DVD that way.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#9 karenw993

karenw993
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

@johnc what is the other program

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

Sorry about that. It is Unetbootin.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Even though Zorin is not listed, you can still use it to create a bootable USB from any bootable iso file.

Were you able to get Zorin to boot using Rufus?

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 June 2014 - 11:28 AM.

#11 karenw993

karenw993
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:47 AM

@wpgwpg I am doing this for a friend so I am not in a position now to purchase an external DVD drive so I hope the USB boot works. In the bios boot menu it does recognize the USB but just won't boot. The USB is 8 GB, could it just be the car that the USB is too large for the laptop, I have found a 4 GB I didn't know I had so I will try it with that - do u think that could make a difference.

#12 karenw993

karenw993
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:50 AM

@johnc I haven't tried Rufus yet, zorin is still download, very slow internet, I tried unetbootin but maybe I did something wrong. In your opinion which would u say is better, Rufus or unetbootin, I'll try Rufus first maybe.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:54 AM

I would try Rufus first. You may even want to try using the Zorin iso you have downloaded already to see if it boots. It could not hurt. By the way, are you downloading Zorin Lite? Because I believe that is the distro you would use for a netbook like yours.

Edit: The Zorin download page gives the MD5 signature for the iso. You can check to see if the Zorin iso you have already downloaded is okay by checking it's MD5 signature with a utility that does that.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/MD5-Check.shtml

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 June 2014 - 11:57 AM.

#14 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

@wpgwpg I am doing this for a friend so I am not in a position now to purchase an external DVD drive so I hope the USB boot works. In the bios boot menu it does recognize the USB but just won't boot. The USB is 8 GB, could it just be the car that the USB is too large for the laptop, I have found a 4 GB I didn't know I had so I will try it with that - do u think that could make a difference.

I'd be surprised if it made a difference, but with a computer that old, who knows.  I'm sure it would fit.  My Ubuntu 14 flash drive takes 1.7 GB and my Mint 16 DVD takes 1.1 GB, so no problem with sizes.  

Good luck.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

Just curious as to why you are downloading v6.4 when the latest version is 8.

http://zorin-os.com/free8.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users