Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont boot

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dadscomputer

dadscomputer

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:53 PM

Hi

First time poster that needs help plz

Put a new ssd hdd into my computer and everything was fantastic until I decided to tweak a few things.

After reading online I noticed the hdd was running in ide not ahci.

I changed it and rebooted and all was fine.

Did a few firefox tweaks and rebooted a few more times then computer wont boot at all.

Push power button and fans come on but no action, and because you cant tell if the ssd is doing anything I put a new hdd in so that i could feel if it powers up but no go

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:10 AM

Welcome,

Assume this is a desktop. Do you get any of the POST beeps? Did you remove the CMOS battery for a minute and then replace it so the system would reinventory the connected devices [new HDD} and adjust? Does the HDD have anything installed on it? And, is it compatible with the system hardware?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

You can see AHCI as the language which the controller uses to speak with the system. The disk can't see if AHCI is being used or IDE emulation. If you use AHCI, all Serial ATA features are available, while you don't need any drivers specific to your controller.

To actually use AHCI, the OS (whether that's Windows, Linux or even Ghost) has to have an AHCI driver. Windows Vista and 7 include the driver, but don't install it if the boot drive's controller doesn't have AHCI enabled. Similarly, the IDE driver doesn't get installed if the IDE controller is disabled. That's why you can't just toggle the setting in the BIOS on an already installed Windows system.

Pay to reinstall win7 or change the setting back to IDE

#4 dadscomputer

dadscomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:20 PM

Thank you both for the reply
Have taken the battery out and the didn't work
Have removed video card, sound card and 3 ram, left only one stick in and tried booting.
Have two hard disks
one ssd the other disk type and both have win 7
no success with either one
booting up
when I first had the problem I got 3 beeps then 1 long scream but now no beeps
have also tried 2 video cards and also onboard vid with no success
System powers on sometimes and other times nothing at all
Sometimes the hd powers up other times nothing
New power supply 3 months old and checked
Im fairly savy with pc's but this has me pulling my hair out

#5 dadscomputer

dadscomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:25 PM

Let me add, when I say system or hdd powers on, nothing comes on the pc screen, it wont take it out of standby mode
have tried 2 monitors

#6 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:34 PM

beep codes different bios charts

http://acronymsonline.com/lists/beep_chart.asp

couple of things to stop it booting

MBR is damaged or the hdd has not set  "Active" for the boot system.

run the win7 install disk and do pc repair.

Edited by johnebadbak, 11 June 2014 - 10:41 PM.

#7 dadscomputer

dadscomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:38 PM

Thanks

#8 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:46 PM

Might be a memory error and your PC is stuck. You can reset the error by doing a power drain procedure. No guarantees but no harm trying. These steps were sent to me by an Acer support tech when I can't boot my PC during a restore process. It worked for me but may not necessarily work for you but it's worth a try. It's very easy.  I will copy-paste the steps below:

1.Turn off computer and unplug power cord. 

2.Disconnect everything except monitor, mouse and keyboard. 

3.Press power button and hold for 30 seconds. 

4.Plug power cord back into computer and press power button. 

5.Check front panel LEDs (lights) on bezel (front face) or optical drives and listen for power supply fan. 

6.If LEDs are on or power supply fan starts spinning, watch for boot screen on monitor. 

7.If computer begins to start, turn it off. 

8.Reconnect any external devices. 

9.Press the power button and make sure the computer starts.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#9 dadscomputer

dadscomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:49 PM

Will give it a try when I get home
thank you

#10 dadscomputer

dadscomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:57 PM

Will give it a try when I get home
thank you

#11 sheena79

sheena79

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:35 AM

The immediate symptom is that a file needed to start Windows has been corrupted. It is entirely possible that a repair of the Windows operating system will correct the problem; HOWEVER, the hard drive itself may be the cause of the problem in the first place. The hard drive may be wearing out. This does not mean that the files on that hard drive are not accessible. 

There is a very simple (to computer guys/gals) old trick to get to these files. You remove your hard drive from your computer and add it as a second drive in another computer. Given that all computers involved are running Windows XP, there should be virtually no problem in your drive becoming readable. It will be there in "My Computer" as a second hard drive. 

At this point, your personal files should be accessible. 

One may ask, "If her hard drive is so bad that it can't run Windows, why would it magically work okay in another computer?" Valid question. Here is the answer: The hard drive in this case has only become partially defective. The defect is in reading the most used area of the hard drive: the Windows operating system. The personal files are not being continously accessed as Windows is and that physical part of the hard drive is likely still okay. 

Once this is all straightened out, perhaps your brother would be kind enough to partition your new hard drive into two virtual hard drives: one for the Windows operating system and the other for your personal files. In that way, should Windows ever go bad again, you are able to reinstall the operating system all over again without endangering your personal files. That's how I have my system set up and even though I have had computer and virus and other problems, I have never lost a bit of my personal data.

#12 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,193 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:04 AM

Thank you both for the reply
Have taken the battery out and the didn't work
Have removed video card, sound card and 3 ram, left only one stick in and tried booting.
Have two hard disks
one ssd the other disk type and both have win 7
no success with either one
booting up
when I first had the problem I got 3 beeps then 1 long scream but now no beeps
have also tried 2 video cards and also onboard vid with no success
System powers on sometimes and other times nothing at all
Sometimes the hd powers up other times nothing
New power supply 3 months old and checked
Im fairly savy with pc's but this has me pulling my hair out

The boot problem sounds like there might be a power supply problem

The sometimes powering of HDD could be the motor voltage missing

If not the supply check the connections. Intermittent problems are the hardest to identify

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users