Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can not open jpg files they seem to be encrypted.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 a_hiscock

a_hiscock

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:56 PM

Hello!

First of all thanks for taking the time to read this!

I have a load of family pictures on my old windows computer which I am unable to open, a friend has had a quick look and tells me that they seem to be encrypted but he does not know how to fix the problem.

My files are on a system running Vista.

Again thanks for the time reading this.

Andy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:17 PM

How were these files created?  Are you sure they're .JPG files?  What app are you trying to open them with?  You might want to try opening them with a different app like maybe Windows Live Photo Gallery or Irfanview.  If they are in fact encrypted, you're going to have to find out how they got that way and what the encryption key was.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 a_hiscock

a_hiscock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:33 PM

Hello wpgwpg,

The files are just general photos taken, on mobile phone, digital camera etc not the same source.

The file extension is .jpg

I have tried opening them on the windows computer and also on my mac using several different apps all with the same result.

To be honest I am not really sure how the were encrypted, how would I work this out?

Thanks

Andy

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:44 PM

Hello wpgwpg,

The files are just general photos taken, on mobile phone, digital camera etc not the same source.

The file extension is .jpg

I have tried opening them on the windows computer and also on my mac using several different apps all with the same result.

To be honest I am not really sure how the were encrypted, how would I work this out?

Thanks

Andy

You'd know better than me I'm afraid.  I'd ask whoever created them.  If they don't know, I don't know who would.  I suppose it's possible that whatever media they were on was subjected to some kind of extreme condition like maybe excessive heat or some kind of radiation.  Maybe you could recover some of them from the original sources?

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:10 PM

Do you have other kinds of files on the same computer?  E.g. .doc, xls, etc.  Can you open these other file types or are they encrypted too?  I'm wondering if you are infected.  Cryptolocker (and its variants) can encrypt all your personal files and demand a ransome to have them decrypted.  Have a look at some of the topics in this sub-forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/45/general-security/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users