Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to change file permissions in Linux using the GUI?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:50 PM

I installed some wallpaper from Package Manager in Linux Lite. and the .jpg file ended out outside the folder that contains the other wallpaper, so I used the command line interface with sudo to move it as I couldn't do so using the GUI. Searching the internet I came across a site which explains how to change permissions using the command line interface, which I will try soon so that I can edit the conky.config file in Conky, and which would presumably have enabled me to move the wallpaper file using the GUI, had I changed the permissions for it.

http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/760276-how-to-manage-file-and-folder-permissions-in-linux

While I'm keen to learn how to use the command line interface, I am wondering if it's necessary to use it at some point to be able to do things such as move and edit files that have restricted access, or if that can be done solely using the GUI?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:34 PM

n/m, I discovered the answer.

For anyone who wants to know the same, simply right click on the file and select ''open as administrator.''

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:06 PM

Yup.

If you want to ( or must ) play around in root you can I use Nautilus for Linux. Must be installed its in your repo.

Open terminal and type gksudo nautilus. A new window will open up that gives you root acess to all the folders.

To say edit xorg.conf in root gksudo gedit /path/to/xorg.conf  this will open the .conf as root and you can save any changes.

You can also take ownership over a file with. sudo chown b:b /path/to/fileA

To copy to other location:

sudo cp /source_location/filename.txt /destination_source/filename.txt
sudo -r /source_location/foldername /destination_location/

To delete an item or folder:

sudo rm /source_location/filename.ext
sudo rm -rf /home/your_user_name/Some_Folders

Or you can use gksudo nautilus Just be carefull.

Edited by NickAu1, 10 June 2014 - 06:18 PM.

#4 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:49 AM

Thanks! I had only vaguely heard of Nautilus, so I'll give it a try to see how it works.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:36 PM

use gksudo nautilus with caution. Remember you are root.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users