Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to copy a DOS program from an old Computer to a Windows PC

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 adrianboston357

adrianboston357

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:50 PM

Hello all,

I am tasked with taking a DOS program on an old Compaq computer and transferring it to a Windows 7 PC. The Compaq computer only has a 8 inch floppy disk drive and a 3.5 floppy drive. What I want to do is use an 3.5 floppy and copy the program to the disk. The program is a installer that we use here. It is so old that the people that developed it and kept all the information on it are long gone. I know there is a way to do it through DOS but I am severly rusty with DOS. Can someone help me out with this? If so, please write it out in "Dum Dum terms", line by line please. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:22 PM

Hello, and Welcome

First, If you are running Windows 7 64bit you will not be able to run the MS-Dos program natively. You would need to run the program in a virtual Machine. Windows 7 32bit would probably be able to run it. Link

You would need a USB floppy drive to transfer the program over to the Windows 7 machine. If the program is more than 1.4MB, you will need to split the file first. What is the OS on the Compaq? DOS or does it have Windows 3/3.1

#3 adrianboston357

adrianboston357
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:41 PM

Hi JohnC, I will be running Windows 7 but not 64bit. I will have to take another look tomorrow to see if it is DOS or Windows. I am guessing DOS but I will have to look again to make sure. Thanks for the info so far. I should have an answer for you by tomorrow. At this point I am not too concerned with running the DOS program. If I can get it to a PC and see the program for what it is doing then I should be able to duplicate it in C++, Java, or even Labview if I'm lucky. First things first, I have to get the mystery program of the old computer.

#4 adrianboston357

adrianboston357
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:12 AM

Hey JohnC or anyone else,

It is a Compaq ProLinea 3/25s. This is what I have on it by doing a search.

System Specs for Compaq ProLinea 3/25s
Type of System:    Desktops/Servers
Bus Architecture:    ISA
Native OS:    DOS
CPU Type:    25MHz Intel i386SX
System Memory
Standard Memory:     2 or 4 MB (removable)
Maximum Memory:    16 MB
Memory Expansion:    4 sockets (2 banks of 2)

What is my next move?

#5 adrianboston357

adrianboston357
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:23 AM

Should I try:

copy /b c:\folder\file.exe a:\

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:12 AM

I have never used the B switch for copying over Binary Files but it couldn't hurt. If you are copying over a single file that command should work,

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:20 AM

I'd get a HDD/SSD USB 3.0 to SATA & IDE Adapter and just do it in Windows.

#8 adrianboston357

adrianboston357
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I think I have my route of taking care of this now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users