Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mhoss49

mhoss49

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:31 PM

My friend just purchased laptop with 8.1 operating system. I am looking for a video on how to create recovery of the operating system onto a flashdrive. c:drive shows 536 of 556 GB used, so no doubt a 32GB flashdrive should work. All we have added until after recovery disk (flashdrive) is made and also I read we could make a copy to a partition on hard drive. I looked at coulple youtubes, check others.  Thanks mhoss

I apologize for all the confusion. What I was trying to say was the laptop is new and the c:drive shows that 20GB has been used, so I assumed that was how large the 8.1 operating system was and that is why I mentioned a 32GB flash for storage. I just want to copy the operating system image onto a flashdrive so if the computer would crash I could uninstall the crashed or corrupted operating system and reinstall the program I would have on the flashdrive. In this case I was wanting to use a flash because it would take 5 dvd-r 4.7 GB disc versus 1 flash.

I thought this image was called Recovery Disc which I had created when I purchased a laptop with windows 7 and did have to do a complete uninstall and reinstall using the dvd-r recovery disc's. I hope I have cleared- up confussion.

Edited by mhoss49, 10 June 2014 - 04:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:40 PM

32 GB is way more than you'll need.  I've made mine on an 8 GB drive, and I have over 7 GB free.  Make sure the laptop has all the latest maintenance (you need the 800 MB update 1 that came out a couple of months ago).  Then go to the Control Panel -> Recovery applet and click Create a recovery drive.  Understand that this will wipe anything you have on the drive, so if there's anything on it you don't want to lose, be sure to save it first.

Good luck. 

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

If you want to create a Recovery Drive without the Recovery Partition, a 4 GB flashdrive will do (actually even 500 MB will do).  If you want to include the Recovery Partition, you have to get a 16 GB flashdrive because it takes up just over 8 GB.  You don't have to look at a video, it's simple.  Just look at this article, it's full of screenshots, so that should make it easy to follow: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-usb-recovery-drive-in-windows-8/

#4 mhoss49

mhoss49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:09 PM

Thanks all, but I wonder if I used wrong terminology. What I want to create is an image of the operating system. I thought it was called recovery disc. I want an image......if the hard drive would black screen or computer would crash. I was wanting to re-install the operating system, not to just boot.I have windows 7 and I create recovery disc which allow me to uninstall hard drive and use the disc's to put my laptops original operating system after a bad problem. Please tell me if I am not being clear. Thank You mhoss

Edited by mhoss49, 10 June 2014 - 03:10 PM.

#5 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

Thanks all, but I wonder if I used wrong terminology. What I want to create is an image of the operating system. I thought it was called recovery disc. I want an image......if the hard drive would black screen or computer would crash. I was wanting to re-install the operating system, not to just boot.I have windows 7 and I create recovery disc which allow me to uninstall hard drive and use the disc's to put my laptops original operating system after a bad problem. Please tell me if I am not being clear. Thank You mhoss

Well now, I suspect there's a typo in your OP.  You want to put 536 GB on a 32 GB flash drive?  I'm sure you know that's not right, so please help us understand.  If you want a full system backup, your best bet would be to invest $60 or so in a 1 TB external hard drive and use a good 3rd party backup program.  I use the free Easeus Todo Backup Free which has worked well for me the last 1.5 years.  CNET has a lot of backup program reviews at 

Some of these are free (last time I checked there were over 300), some have free trials (over 1000), and some are purchase only (over 200).

Let me just add that you're smart to want to do this.  We see so many people in these forums who don't do it, and they sure do have some very sad tales about what's happened to them.  You understand the need for that ounce of prevention!   :thumbup2:

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users