Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recurring Windows\Temp file iTunes64Setup.exe

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lithoartist

lithoartist

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:29 PM

First, please excuse me if this is not the place for this post.

A temporary file of 110MB, iTunes64Setup.exe, is created in C:\Windows\Temp\avast_ash\iTunes (64 Bit) each time I start my Windows 8 PC.  I posted previously on the avast! forum regarding this temporary file because I use avast! on my machine.  I believe a reply to my post suggested I update Java and that immediately solved the problem but for a while only.  I cannot access the avast! forum to verify my belief: it remains unavailable since it was hacked recently.  I use Ccleaner daily and that removes the file until I use my machine again.  I am at a loss as to what to do next.  My browser is Comodo and I have seen a reference somewhere regarding it in connection with this issue.  My java is version 7, update 55. Should I uninstall iTunes?  There seem to be so many elements involved, I am unsure what to do next.  I should appreciate someone's advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

Anything in that temp folder can be deleted without problem.  I don't use iTunes or Java.  Does iTunes require Java?  I didn't think it does.  Re CCcleaner, I hear good things about it as long as you don't try to clean the registry.  Registry cleaners are not needed for anything, don't help anything, and can cause problems that're difficult to diagnose and extremely difficult to fix.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

AVAST forum offline due to attack

Using Java is an unnecessary security risk...especially using older versions which have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system.Although, Java is commonly used in business environments and many VPN providers still use it, the average user does not need to install Java software.I recommend just uninstalling Java if you don't use it...rather than uninstall iTunes.
* How to Completely Remove Java Using JavaRa
* How do I uninstall Java on my Windows machine?
* Information about the Java Uninstall Tool for Windows

I installed iTunes on my wife's computer which works fine with avast. Java was uninstalled a long time ago.

If you're going to use Java, many security researchers and computer security organizations caution users to limit their usage and to disable Java Plug-ins or add-ons in your browsers.

If you need Java for a specific Web site, consider adopting a two-browser approach. If you normally browse the Web with Firefox, for example, consider disabling the Java plugin in Firefox, and then using an alternative browser (Chrome, IE9, Safari, etc.) with Java enabled to browse only the site(s) that require(s) it.

Krebs On Security: ...Java

To defend against this and future Java vulnerabilities, consider disabling Java in web browsers until adequate updates are available. As with any software, unnecessary features should be disabled or removed as appropriate for your environment.

US CERT: Disable Java in web browsers

* How to disable Java Plug-ins or add-ons in common web browsers .
* How to turn off Java on your browser

Also make sure you are using the most current version.
JRE 8 Update 05 was released 04/15/14.
JRE 7 Update 60 was released 06/02/14

As noted above, older unpatched versions of Java and other popular software like Adobe (Reader, Flash Player, Shockwave Player) Apple iTunes, Quick Time, VLC Media Player all are vulnerable to exploits and require frequent updating with security patches or you increase the risk of system infection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 lithoartist

lithoartist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:41 AM

quietman7

I thank you for your comprehensive and constructive reply.  I contribute to OpenStreetMap through an online editor, JOSM, that requires Java.  I have posted on one of its forums this morning, briefly outlining my issue and asking what other users have to say on the subject.

I checked my plugins through chrome://plugins/ (it changes to dragon://plugins/ on my PC automatically).  There are no Java plugins (although I have noted it seems necessary to have Java™ plugin installed to check for updates).  It was interesting to see, however, there are eight other plugins about whose usefulness or purpose I am not sure.

I wonder which Java version I should be installing on my PC and ask, is it necessary or advisable to uninstall the existing version before installing another? 

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:48 AM

I wonder which Java version I should be installing on my PC and ask, is it necessary or advisable to uninstall the existing version before installing another?

If you must use JAVA, then you should use the most current version...JRE 8 Update 05.

And yes, you should remove all older versions first for the reasons I indicated.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users