Hi there everyone,
My laptop has started experiencing multiple problems over the past few days. I'll try to remember them all but there are quite a few. First of all I use this computer for 6 - 8 hours every day and it is now roughly 3 years old, it is an HP 4010tx bought from Australia although I now reside in the UK. System is as below:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7 720QM @ 1.60GHz 50 °C
Clarksfield 45nm Technology
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Hewlett-Packard 1449 (CPU) 51 °C
Generic PnP Monitor (1600x900@60Hz)
VX2239 SERIES (1920x1080@60Hz)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 (HP) 51 °C
596GB Western Digital WDC WD6400BPVT-00HXZT1 (SATA) 33 °C
ATI High Definition Audio Device
I used a program called Speccy to grab the specs but it can't seem to find the optical drive which is now a newly discovered problem.
So, onto the problems:
1. I can't seem to shut the computer down without manually holding the power button down, as it just shows the logging off screen forever.
2. I can no longer use USB sticks, they computer makes the sound that a USB device has been plugged in but when I open my computer to access this the device isn't there, if I then try and close computer it crashes and I cannot end the process using task manager either. Interestingly it seemed to find and install the drivers for my HTC phone, would recognise my mouse but didn't install the drivers and will not recognise any of the three USB sticks I have tried.
3. I have just tried to insert a CD into my DVD drive, the drive spins up but when I open up computer to see the contents there is no disc recognised. I go to write click on the DVD to click open but the computer winodw becomes unresponsive and greys out. I am given the options to restart the prgram, close the prgram or wait to respond when trying to close the window, all three options do nothing. I have tried killing explorer and using run in task manager to restart it but this does not work - the process is not killed although the start menu disappears. However, no new explorer is started although the process appears in task manager.
4. I am struggling to install new software, either the installer just doesn't appear on screen or crashes at some point during installation. The processes show up in task manager but I am unable to kill them, if I run the installer again I just end up with multiple instances in task manager.
What I have done so far:
1. Run scans with both MalwareBytes and Comodo, these return nothing malicious.
2. Started in safe mode with networking, from here logging off is fine although I still cannot use USB devices properly.
3. (Forgot to mention this originally) System restored to a point before all of these problems had arised, this didn't help.
Would appreciate any suggestions of where to even start. This all seems to have happened out of nothing. I had considered just reformatting my hard drive and starting with a fresh windows install as there seem to be so many problems. I would like to avoid this if possible although I'm sure most on here know a lot more than me about these things.
So thanks for any help or suggestions and let me know whatever extra info is required, sorry for the huge post!
Edited by Millsy87, 11 June 2014 - 05:28 AM.