Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware affecting entire network?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 miowaifu

miowaifu

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:05 AM

Hello! I noticed a few days ago that my laptop was spawning random tabs that have a popup window telling me to update my Windows 7 or other programs. This has made my Steam completely unusable because it will immediately pop up when trying to access the community page, and cannot be closed. I scanned it with Malwarebytes, Avast!, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Ad-aware, and nothing was found.

I told my father about this and he told me he had the same problem on his tablet, which is also connected to the network. He had to wipe it completely. Last night, I used my phone on the network, and it has also received popups telling me to download something. I turned off the network and do not appear to get them anymore. I scanned it with mobile Avast! and found nothing. 

Finally, I am using my desktop computer which is also connected to the network, and am receiving the same popups. I don't know the exact source, so I'm not sure how we could be go about cleaning it off. 

My other computer is using Windows 7, this one is using Windows XP, and my phone/tablet are both running android systems. This appears to affect any browser.

Any help would be great! I am having problems finding someone with the same issue, especially since it affects the network so it's hard to find the exact source, and it is also affecting our Android systems! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,725 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:40 AM

Welcome aboard p22002758.gif

Try resetting your router...

Turn the computer off.

On your router, you'll find a pinhole marked "Reset".
Keep pushing the hole, using a pencil, or a paperclip until all lights briefly come off and on.
NOTE. Simple router disconnecting from a power source will NOT do.
Restart computer and check for redirections.

NOTE. You may need to re-check your router security settings, as described HERE

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users