Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Goofed up - changed user name

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 maynard60

maynard60

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:04 AM

Am giving my laptop computer to  my daughter (Kim). I was removong my files, getting rid of programs and so on and decided to change the log in screen to her name vice mine

Not sure how I did it but I did

Now several things don't work properly like system restore

How do I get it back to the way it was.

I have an asus 13" with no disc drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:33 AM

Names reflected on the Logon screen...relate to user accounts established.

You can adjust these any time...via Control Panel.

If you want to remove your user account...please ensure that you have created one with admin prtivileges for your daughter first.

I can't address what you may have done...since you provided no details of exactly what was done, but the above assumes that you can still boot into Win 7.

Louis

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:39 AM

Look under C:\Users for the list of user IDs.  If you're lucky, maybe one of the ones there will have what you want.  If not, well I guess the school of hard knocks has shown you why you need to make system backups, unfortunately.  I see you have no CD drive, but you can buy external USB ones for $25 and up.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $60 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 maynard60

maynard60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:07 PM

Names reflected on the Logon screen...relate to user accounts established.

You can adjust these any time...via Control Panel.

If you want to remove your user account...please ensure that you have created one with admin prtivileges for your daughter first.

I can't address what you may have done...since you provided no details of exactly what was done, but the above assumes that you can still boot into Win 7.

Louis

Sorry Louis, you are incorrect.

I can't adjust in control panel, nothing happens when I click on the links

I can boot for sure... I can get on internet although the icon now shows I'm not connected. 

I know my problem is due to the change I made, I would change back if I could remember....

#5 maynard60

maynard60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

Look under C:\Users for the list of user IDs.  If you're lucky, maybe one of the ones there will have what you want.  If not, well I guess the school of hard knocks has shown you why you need to make system backups, unfortunately.  I see you have no CD drive, but you can buy external USB ones for $25 and up.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $60 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

When I look at C:\users I see the new one I created with elevated command promp and my old one... 

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:14 PM

Can you log off the new one and log on with the old one?  That would seem like a possible solution.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users