Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot error

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Azifer

Azifer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

Recently I have booted my computer, as I do normally, and this message occurred after the BIOS:

"GRUB Loading stage 1.5

GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 2"

Nothing happens after, it just stays the same.

Operating system:
Windows 7 Home Prem
64 bit

Please help if you can, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:49 AM

Were you trying to install *nix on this machine?  What was going on before this started happening?  Grub indicates a *nix issue, not a Windows issue.

#3 Azifer

Azifer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

I didn't even know what *nix is until I searched it, so no. Computer seemed to be working fine previously and there were no problems. I don't understand how I have a GRUB issue, as like you mentioned, they occur usually with Linux.

I have never used Linux or done anything in relation to it.

Edited by Azifer, 10 June 2014 - 10:58 AM.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:00 AM

Grub comes with Linux, not Windows, so I surmise that you've installed Linux on that computer in addition to Windows.  If you do that, they'll coexist well until you try to resize a partition, then you'll see a grub error.  When that happened to me, I reinstalled Linux (I believe it was the Mint distro I was using), and the problem went away.  Windows 7 and Linux can coexist peacefully, but they use different file systems nonetheless, and there're restrictions that apply.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 Azifer

Azifer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:05 AM

Honestly I never tried installing Linux, and I don't think it could have installed by itself. I could perhaps check if it's there, but I don't know how...

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

OK, I see you added a post saying you've never done anything with Linux.  Does anyone else use your computer perhaps?  If not, we have something mysterious here.  I think I'd make a Repair disc on another Windows 7 64 bit computer, then boot from it, on your computer, and see if that will fix it.  Something's happened to your master boot record.  To make a repair disc, go to Start -> Control Panel -> Backup and Restore -> Create system repair disc.  Insert a blank CD-R and it'll create it in 3-4 min.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#7 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

I have never used Linux or done anything in relation to it.

Are you the only user of that computer?

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#8 Azifer

Azifer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

Yep, I'm the only user. I'll try the repair disk thing, maybe it'll do something.

Thanks

#9 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:12 AM

You may need to use EasyBCD (Free) program to restore your bootloader. Google it up.

Edited by badr0b0t, 10 June 2014 - 11:14 AM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#10 Azifer

Azifer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

@badr0b0t I can't really use a program if I can't boot my computer, or am I not understanding correctly?

#11 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:54 AM

@badr0b0t I can't really use a program if I can't boot my computer, or am I not understanding correctly?

You will have to create a bootable EasyBCD disc just like the bootable rescue/repair disc.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#12 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

You have a couple of things to try now.  There're others if you have no success too.

One thing I've done on occasion was to create a small partition about 30 GB and do a Windows 7 install in that.  That'll recreate your master boot record and give you a dual boot you can use to get to your real system.  Takes about 45 minutes; you don't have to do anything with updates, activation, apps, etc., you just need enough to get you going again.  Crude solution, but for 45 min. of effort it beats spending days of effort on other trial and error if it comes to that.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users