Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Think My Computer Is Sick! Help!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MrsG94

MrsG94

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:42 AM

Hi! You guys have helped me before, and I'm hoping you can hold my hand through this too. Yesterday I realized that my email address was sending out emails to my friends and family with the empty subject line and just a link in the body. I recognized this as something I have seen happen to other people that I know. I immediately ran an Avast scan and it came back with two or three unscannable files. This has never happened before. There were no options available for me at that screen showing me the unscannable files. I just exited out no knowing what else to do. Then I ran a Malwarebytes scan and it came back with 10 problems. Usually there are none. I followed the instructions to get rid of them and away they went. Then I ran a SuperAntiSpyware scan and it came back with the usual adtracker stuff. I dumped those too. Then for good measure, I ran a TFC to clean up a bit. After all that, I read that the email problem is really not a virus and can only be helped by changing your email password, so I did that. After restarting, I ran the Avast scan again and the unscannable files came back again. Also, when I click on my Google browser icon (both desktop shortcut and taskbar icon) it now opens two pages instead on one. I'm feeling a little paranoid now that something is living and breeding inside my computer like a family of cockroaches. Please help me before something really terrible happens! Thanks in advance for your awesomeness! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

Try running those anti-malware programs in Safe Mode.  Some malware can hide itself in normal mode.  There's also System Restore to go back to a date prior to the beginning of the problem.  To find out what's being sent out, you might want to check with some of the people in your contacts list.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 MrsG94

MrsG94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

Howdy there, wpgwpg. I reran my anti-malware programs in Safe Mode. It didn't pick up anything different from what it found the first time. There were four files that Avast said it couldn't scan and that has never happened before. They are files somewhere in my dell datasafe local backup file. I don't use this (at least not on purpose), so I don't know why these files are kicking out. The description I am getting says that they are password protected. I have not password protected anything in those files. Also, I have a question regarding having my email address stolen and used to send useless emails to my friends/family. I read that there is a difference in email hacking and email spoofing. In reading the definitions of both, I believe I have a case of spoofing. Have you ever heard of this difference? ANNNND, if my email address has been taken/stolen/hacked, can it affect anything else on my hard drive? Or any other online accounts I have? Just making sure. Thanks!!

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:19 PM

Here's what Wikipedia says about email spoofing:

"Email spoofing is the creation of email messages with a forged sender address - something which is simple to do because the core protocols do no authentication. Spam and phishing emails typically use such spoofing to mislead the recipient about the origin of the message.[1]

A number of measures to address spoofing are available including: SPF, Sender ID, DKIM, and DMARC. Although their use is increasing, it is likely that almost half of all domains still do not have such measures in place.[2][3] However, as of 2013, 60% of consumer mailboxes worldwide use DMARC to protect themselves against direct domain spoofing[4] and only 8.6% of emails have no form of domain authentication.[5]"

You can read the whole article here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_spoofing

The first thing I'd do about this would be to change my email password.  It's not an uncommon thing to have happen.  Spammers pick up folks' email addresses and send their garbage out, making it look like it was sent from someone other than themselves.  It's happened to me a few times in the past and fortunately changing my email password has always worked for me.  YMMV.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 MrsG94

MrsG94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:15 PM

Ok, then the email thing should be ok. In reading around today, I saw where someone had a similar issue as mine with the Avast kicking out those "unscannable" files. I would very much like to post the scan log from that, but am unsure if it is ok to do so in this section of the forum. Please let me know. I'm pretty sure that this person ended up having a virus of some sort. Please help!

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:40 PM

It is okay to post your AVAST log in this forum.  I'm going to delete your two topics in the log forum as they are duplicates of this one.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:47 PM

Ok, then the email thing should be ok. In reading around today, I saw where someone had a similar issue as mine with the Avast kicking out those "unscannable" files. I would very much like to post the scan log from that, but am unsure if it is ok to do so in this section of the forum. Please let me know. I'm pretty sure that this person ended up having a virus of some sort. Please help!

The data in that Dell datasafe file aren't going to be something most antivirus programs will recognize because they're in a Dell proprietary format.  If those are the files Avast is giving the "unscannable" messages about, you can ignore them because that's to be expected.

#8 MrsG94

MrsG94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

Hi wpgwpg and orange blossom,

This is what my Avast scan log is saying (sorry, I forgot how to upload the official log): 

C:\ProgramFiles\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\DSUpdate\Updates\DataSafe_TGG_Tag_ini_Update.exe|>DataSafe_Green.ico

C:\ProgramFiles\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\DSUpdate\Updates\DataSafe_TGG_Tag_ini_Update.exe|>diff_000001.dif

C:\ProgramFiles\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\DSUpdate\Updates\DataSafe_TGG_Tag_ini_Update.exe|>IRIMG1.BMP

C:\ProgramFiles\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\DSUpdate\Updates\DataSafe_TGG_Tag_ini_Update.exe|>IRIMG1.JPG

Each one says "Error: Archive is password protected." (42056) and there are no options available for me to take.

Also, I do not use my Dell DataSafe.

This is a brand new thing that Avast is finding, so that is the primary reason for all the concern. If it's just a thing that Avast decided to start finding then that's ok too. This scan result coincided with my email address being spoofed/hacked, so I became very suspicious. Thanks again for all the help! Yall are great!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users