Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Mint 17

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:15 AM

Hey,

I recently downloaded the ISO for Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon.

I heard nothing but good things about this distro and after using OpenSuSe and enjoying it I thought I'd hop over to mint. 

Anyway, I thought I'd try it on VM Virtualbox before actually using it on my spare laptop. I came across a problem where I had to enable PAE but that was quickly fixed.

Now I got a new problem.

Intel_rapl: no valid rapl domains found in the package 0alized - upgrade bios or use force_addr=0xaddr

This pops up then the screen goes black and then nothing. No install.

What is this?

Thanks,

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:19 AM

No Idea.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/449574/intel-rapl-no-valid-rapl-domains-message-upon-boot

Edited by NickAu1, 10 June 2014 - 06:21 AM.

#3 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:21 AM

Yeah I read through that and couldn't find anything. 

It may have something to do with VirtualBox 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:24 AM

Bios Virtualization enabled?

Enable Virtualization in the BIOS

http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/enable-virtualization-in-the-bios/

Have you tried the disk on another PC?

Edited by NickAu1, 10 June 2014 - 06:25 AM.

#5 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:30 AM

I haven't no.

But the Bios virtualization shouldn't be a problem as I've run OpenSuSe on this desktop before

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:37 AM

Any of this help.
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=force_addr%3D0xaddr

Edit

32 bit or 64 bit? The Linux mint you are trying to install? It may have something to do with it,  I may be wrong on that.

Edited by NickAu1, 10 June 2014 - 07:17 AM.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

I recall the same message appearing when I installed Lubuntu 14.04 x86 in VirtualBox on a MacBook (Core 2 Duo running OSX Lion).  In that instance it wasn't fatal, it eventually loaded up the live desktop and installed OK, but it still shows the same message each time Lubuntu starts up. It also seems very slow on this particular machine despite allocating extra RAM etc..

I also put the same OS, Lubuntu 14.04 x86, in a VM on my own desktop PC, this time using VMWare Player under Windows, and that works without hitch, it runs absolutely fine. I generally prefer VMWare over VirtualBox..

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

upgrade bios or use force_addr=0xaddr

I believe it is telling you how to fix it. I think 'force_addr=0xaddr' is a boot option you need to put in at the very start of the boot process (last screen before linux takes over). For more help with this see the distos support forum url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/.

Edited by bmike1, 10 June 2014 - 05:13 PM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:09 AM

I've seen that error many times when running Linux OS's via VirtualBox, never bothered with trying to fix the issue, the OS's ran fine anyway.

Once it's installed on the computer, it won't show the error again.

Darktune, you should be fine, I've ran Linux Mint for 5 straight years now w/out a problem. Though I run the Mate version, the Cinnamon was buggy on the computers I ran it on, sometimes even in VirtualBox. Go ahead & try it since you've downloaded it, but if you have troubles, Mate is more mature & stable.

Good Luck with Linux Mint 17! You won't have to be concerned about malware on that install.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users