Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why wont a near full 32GB MicroSD card fit on a 32 GB USB Stick

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 smartcooky

smartcooky

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:46 AM

I have an AData 32GB MicroSD almost fully loaded with GoPpro video files. I want to transfer all of the files onto an AData 32GB USB Stick, however, I am running into a problem.

MicroSD.pngUSBStick.png

The supposedly 32 GB USB stick isn't 32 GB at all, is only 28.9 GB, and the supposedely 32GB MicroSD card also isn't 32GB, its only 29.4 GB. Even though the MicroSD card is not full, the files add uip to more than the capacity of the USB stick.

Here are a few things I have checked...

► The USB stick is brand new, so bad sectors should not be a problem. I have checked another brand new 32GB stick with the same results.

► I have reformatted the USB stick to remove any chance of hidden or system files being present

On the format dialogs for the two drives, where does the figure in the "Capacity" drop down box come from? Is it simply repeating what the drive is already formatted to, or is there some "secret" information on the drive that Windows is accessing.

MicroSD-FMT.pngUSBStick-FMT.png

Is it possible to change the actual size of the drive, i.e. format it to the exact same specifications as the MicroSD card.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:51 AM

Hey there,

this can be a pain but here is your answer (this one is relating to an 8GB drive but it's the same principle)

The thumb drive has 8,000,000,000 bytes of storage. If you calculate by the power of 10, that is 8 gigabytes. However, if you calculate in the IT world, you do it starting from binary. So doing the math, it comes out like this 

1024 Bytes = 1Kilobyte 
1024 K = 1 Megabyte 
1024 M = 1Gigabyte 
8,000,000,000 / 1024/1024/1024 = 7.45 gigs

Source

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:52 AM

It indicated a capacity of 32,027,770,880 Bytes followed with 29.8GB.
Why is there a difference between these numbers, and actually how much available space is on the drive?

USB Flash Drives, along with hard drives and other types of computer storage, are measured in bytes. The problem is that the definition of a megabyte/gigabyte isn’t really the same between computers and storage manufactures. A computer says a kilobyte is 1024 bytes and a megabyte is 1024 kilobytes. So one megabyte (one million bytes) is actually 1,048,576 bytes. To get to 32 gigabytes you have to multiply 1024 (bytes) x 1024 (kilobytes) x 1024 (megabytes) x 32 (gigabytes) which gives you 34,359,738,268 bytes of information.

http://www.worldstart.com/why-is-my-32gb-flash-drive-actually-29-8-gb/

Edited by NickAu1, 10 June 2014 - 04:55 AM.

#4 smartcooky

smartcooky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:39 AM

OK I get that. I do understand that a 32 GB drive isn't really 32 GB, and I understand about the 1024 v 1000 , and that would be fine if they were all like that. But why is a 32 GB MicroSD not the same capacity as a 32 GB USB Stick? i.e. why aren't they both 29.4 or 28.9. Why is one larger than the other when they both come from the same manufacturer. 

Are all 32 GB USB Sticks all going to be the same smaller size, 28.9 GB, or might I find one big enough to takle the contects of the MicroSD card?

#5 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:58 AM

This just an assumption. 

But the manufacturer of the USB may have rounded their number closest to 32GB down so they would aim for 32GB and get 28GB odd

With the SD card they might have aimed higher and aimed for 33GB and got 30GB.

As I said it's an assumption. 

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:05 AM

Some info is stored on the usb. Eg.  partition table thing.

#7 smartcooky

smartcooky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:22 PM

This is an ongoing problem I have while doing some work for a particular customer who has an outdoor adventure company. He has several MicroSD cards and regularly wants them put onto USB Sticks for his clients. A full 32GB MicroSD wont fit on a 32GB USB Stick and the other two sizes he has, 16GB and 64GB won't on their respective sized USB sticks either.

What I think I am going to have to do is get him to bring all his MicroSDs into me and I will "block off" part of their capacity with a large hidden file of the appropriate size file so that the remainder of the space is slightly less than the capacity of the USB Sticks he is using. I can't see any other way around this problem.

If there are no further suggestions as to how I can increase the capacity of the 32GB USB Stick enough to take all the data on a full 32GB MicroSD card, then this thread can be marked "solved".

Thank you all for your advice; I have learned something new today. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users