Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IT guy tired of running like a mouse in a wheel, looking for career advice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 facubeta

facubeta

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:18 AM

I am 35 and single, own my own house and car, and don't need too much money to live. And I hate working/commuting 12 hours a day for 11.5 months a year and then go for 2 week vacation. 

I have a university degree on System Analysis and an MBA. I worked as ASP/PHP dev for 4 years, then worked for 4 years as QA Team Lead, and finally worked for 3 years as a Project Manager (current job). I am a certified ScrumMaster and I took PMI training, but didn't certify it. 

I would prefer a job where I am responsible for MY own work ONLY. I would like to have more time for myself even if that means lower pay (IE: work 6 hrs a day only and also have a 1.5 month vacation every year). And it wouldn't hurt to work from home either, because that would allow me to travel every now and then and work on other cities. As an example, I met a guy who works in Business Intelligence 9 months, quits, takes 3 months off to travel on a budget, then gets a new job in BI too because there is plenty of them.

It would be great to know that I can take 3-4 courses in a technology then certify and get a job on such technology. I sure wouldn't like to live with the same salary as a 23 year old who is just out of university, but there HAS to be something in the middle in case I certify, right?

My pros: organized, detail oriented, flexible, proactive, analytical, can get technical if trained. My cons: poor negotiation skills, poor lier, poor skills for dealing with difficult people, programming skills rusty by now.

So, what area/technology would you say I need to focus on and what courses should I take to try get what I want from my career? Would you say I could take a few courses then look for freelance jobs online, and try to market myself as a Senior (lol)? or maybe get experience in a company as dev on some technology and then jump to freelance? 

Any help to flip my carrer upside down will be appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:10 AM

As an example, I met a guy who works in Business Intelligence 9 months, quits, takes 3 months off to travel on a budget, then gets a new job in BI too because there is plenty of them.

I know people like this in several different industries. He's coasting on luck and probably a BS in BS ;)

I wouldn't try doing what he's doing.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

I would prefer a job where I am responsible for MY own work ONLY.

While this sounds good in theory, it just doesn't work in reality.  Your work interfaces with others and the things that they do, or don't do, will affect your work.

I personally work on a different idea set, everyone should do the work for which they were hired.

I've been told that I should work for myself, I'm not interested.  When you work for yourself you are in charge of marketing, accounting, human resources, and much, much more.

While the work you are doing may be frustrating perhaps it is the location and not the work.  Maybe find a job closer to home or where you can telecommute.  The grass isn't greener doing something else, the people will change but the challenges will remain the same.

Edited by Kilroy, 17 June 2014 - 11:22 AM.

#4 facubeta

facubeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:17 PM

Hi folks and thanks for responding.

Kilroy: I didn't mean I don't want to interface with anyone, but leadership positions means that you are responsible for an entire team. So if someone misses something then indirectly it's your fault. Also, finding a job closer to home means that I wouldn't have to suffer the commute, and that is great already. But that wouldn't solve the problem of having 2 weeks a year vacation, and companies don't even want to allow time off without pay. I would be glad to find an employer that would allow me to go off on vacation for an entire month a year even if I'm not paid. After all my vacations are often to go trekking with a friend, which is rather inexpensive.

Netghost56: they guy IS coasting on luck, but then what option is there for the rest of the world that doesn't want to spend most of lives working or sleeping? Did you read the article "your lifestyle has been designed"? it's an eye opener. http://www.raptitude.com/2010/07/your-lifestyle-has-already-been-designed/

Thanks

#5 facubeta

facubeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:43 PM

ok, so if you guys went for this combo: most wanted technologies + freelance + jobs you can apply for as long as you have certification(s) .... what would you suggest?

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:39 AM

I know nothing about freelance.  The hot technologies are security and mobile right now.  For freelance project management is going to probably be your best best, but that puts you in the same boat you're in now, other people control your fate.

#7 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

IT Security Consultant?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users